The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: portable mill capable of sawing 12"x12"x40' in New York State  (Read 8616 times)

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: portable mill capable of sawing 12"x12"x40' in New York State
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
For a sill, seems scarfing a couple two or even three 12x12's would be the thing to do, and then maybe could go to a better species, such as white oak.
I'm with Dave on the size of the butt of a 40' log that will yield the 12x12 timber.
And I think you should be scared  ;D ;D ;D
But hopefully it is taken as just additional ideas to consider.  :)
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline DanG

• Senior Member x2
  • DanG, The Official ForestryForum Cussword
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 12:37:32 PM »
Creating those beams will be a challenge for sure, but it will be a fun and rewarding challenge.  Doing something like that requires some extraordinary logs and extraordinary effort.  That's why you can't trot down to Lowe's and pick up a 12x12x40 for 50 cents a board foot.

Fast forward about 50-odd years and imagine some old guy telling his grandson, "See that old barn over there?  I once met the fellow that moved that barn, back when I was a kid.  He made the biggest beams I ever seen with this little tiny sawmill.  Folks can't do things like that anymore."

;)

I've got trees right here in my yard that would make those beams and could be handled on a LT15.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
This is one way of doing it.

http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=8172.msg110736#msg110736

The 12x12 does complicate life with a swingblade beacause you will need to roll and re-level the log 1/2 way through sawing it. But given enough trach extensions it can be done. ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline Brad_S.

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 06:44:54 PM »
Fast forward about 50-odd years and imagine some old guy telling his grandson, "See that old barn over there?  I once met the fellow that moved that barn, back when I was a kid.  He made the biggest beams I ever seen with this little tiny sawmill.  Folks can't do things like that anymore."
Hopefully the story teller would also add: "It was a tiny machine that used one of those old time internal combustion engines that burned fossil fuel." :D

I don't think we're giving Gus1957 (btw, a very good year) enough credit. He states he has hand hewn a 25' beam so he must have some concept of how a log squares down, and he is ready to fell some large trees on his land for this project, so he must have some comfort level in the woods.
I'm with small manual mill, extra long track school of thought.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Offline Dave Shepard

• Senior Member x2
  • Geometrically proportional
    • Share Post
    • My homepage
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 09:42:40 PM »
I am not second guessing Gus1957's ability, just brainstorming. If you put an idea out on the table, then nobody can say "Hey, you never told me about that!" ;) I would say that a manual mill with a bunch of track sections would be more versatile than a chainsaw mill. It will be quicker for both beams and scantlings. Remember, Gus1957, you should do what feels right to you, we can find plenty of ways to skin a cat for you. ;) ;D Buying your own mill is probably going to be more initial investment, but you will have the ability to saw out whatever you need, whenever you need it.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Offline gus1957

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 10:37:27 AM »
 I appreciate all the options. We have a 68 hp Kubota &  an 80 hp J.D. both 4wd for moving logs around.
 My chain saw is a 30 year old Stihl 041 still going strong with a carb. rebuild and all new gaskets 3 years ago.
 In Forest Products I see an ad for a local mill maker T.A. SCHMID.

He says he can do a 40' mill for $8500. with a 13hp Honda engine. I need to go and take a look.

WM quoted $10,400 for a LT15 with extensions for 40' capacity.

Has any one used a SCHMID?

Thanks

Offline Celeriac

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Got Celeriac?
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
It sounds like an interesting barn restoration you have underway.  It seems to me that it would be possible to cut a 40' beam on a fairly normal mill.  A camp I'm involved with just finished cutting timbers for a new barn and some of them were 10"x10" by about 30'.  They were cut on a 22' mill.  It's certainly more tedious and time consuming than cutting them in one shot but would beat cutting them out by hand. 

My only sawing experience is with a Mobile Dimension so I can't comment much on the pros and cons of other mills.  In my pre MD days I did look at a Norwood.  They seem like a nice little mill and could be extended from here to the west coast with enough angle iron and such.

Do you have a picture of the project?
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Offline fencerowphil (Phil L.)

• Senior Member x2
  • LIKE CUTTIN' LONG! 30FT!
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 08:04:56 AM »
If you are only going to cut one or two sills, the chainsaw mill is very simple to
set up, if you have someone who already understands *Will Malloff's tricks.  A
few years ago, I made a sliding plank like he used to do long runs.  The set up
used lag bolts to support the sliding plank.  The plank is a 2x10 or 2x12 anywhere
from 8' to 12' long.  By pulling a tight string the lags can be set in two rows on
top of the log, spaced for the sliding plank, which provides the flat plane for the
first cut.  As you cut, you insert kerf wedges which taper from 3/16" quickly to the kerf
of your particular chain and are about 18" by 2".  As you make your cut
you insert a wedge about every 4' or so.  They keep the tremendous weight
of such a big log from settling down onto the chainsaw bar and chain.  Do this
in every kerf you make.  (P.S.: The sliding plank needs angle iron or something
else along each edge to keep it from sliding sideways off the lag bolt heads.)

After the first cut, remove all the lags. Next, the moooco macho firewood slab
would be snipped into a few sections and slid off, and  moved out of the way. 
Drop the mill down to the 12"  thickness.  Make a second cut.   (Re-use your kerf wedges.)

Third step, roll the log 90 degrees and repeat these first two processes. Yes, you
do have to do the lag rows again. 

Simply put, if you already have the need (or the sawdust fever) to own your
own mill and will use it around your place to produce more lumber, go for it.
If you only need a sill, get someone with a chainsaw mill to help you knock it out.

Phil L.                                     (Personally, I think you is already infektid!) :D

* Chainsaw Lumber Making by Will Malloff, Taunton Press
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Offline Piston

• Senior Member x2
  • ...Brick by brick my friends...brick by brick!
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 10:21:05 PM »
Gus1957,
Just wondering what route you chose to take with this, I know this is an old topic but curious of the outcome?  Sure would be interesting to see how you made out.
-Matt
What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.

Offline cilley

• Share Post
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
Gus 1957........if you have looked at the hudson mills i would recommend the oscar236.......possible with an engine upgrade.....i have a 36 farm boss.......and i cant say enough about it......i was going to go with a ground track system so i looked around for over 2 years......went to ever show there was.......saw every brand out there........for the money and what this mill can do........i think its a winner hands down.......just my 2 cents worth......and yes you came to the right place here on the forum......cant say enough about the people here........good luck with your project........alan

Offline fstedy

• I need to edit my profile!
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 04:32:27 AM »
I believe Red a member here has the capability you need he has an LT15 with the extensions. He is located in Northern NJ in Morris County. Send him an email and I'll also try to contact him. Where about in NY are you located?
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • More is better but enough is best
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2008, 05:14:47 AM »
Gus,

I used a Schmid mill once when I was looking at manual mills and trying to decide which to buy. It was the 1st manual mill I has seen and it assured me that a manual would be OK with me. It has removeable wheels for towing and sits right on the ground. You can add track to the limit of the availibilty steel and your ability to level such a long distance - which are not big drawbacks. It is a no frills well and made mill and as the guy who let me test it said " it's the best bang for the buck". Actually met T.A. at the NC Ag Expo in the mid '90s - a nice guy.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, setter, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Offline shinnlinger

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2008, 08:31:46 PM »
Hi,

I am sure this info is way to late, but Let me put a pitch in here for a Turner Mill.  They are made in NY and could easily be made to do this.  My mill has a 20 ft deck and a 10 ft extension and can do a 26 and a half foot beam (I made a few once)  The extensions are welded bits of angle iron and very soild.  If you have a decent shop you could easily make your own but I bet Mr Turner would whip you up a 25 ft extension, He seems like a great guy.

That said if it was just a few sills I would either scarf, hew or alaska it.

In a recent thread her someone  suggested soaking wood for ground contact in copper napthate and then drilling holes in it and topping the holes with copper napthate every few years.  I might set it on 2x PT also.

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Offline millit

• Orange
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2008, 04:01:21 PM »
Gus
        I could saw 2 20 footers  may be able to find that in hemlock close to home

Offline millit

• Orange
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 05:54:17 AM »
I can saw 2 20 footers and good chance i can find hemlock

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter