iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood allergy

Started by getoverit, February 18, 2008, 09:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getoverit

Just a note to all of the woodworkers out there:

I have been building a guitar made with Pao Ferro, which is a replacement wood for Brazillian rosewood. All of a sudden yesterday I developed an allergy to it. Right now I am miserable with a rash all over my head, neck and arms.

After doing a google search on pao ferro allergy, I find this is quite common for woodworkers of all kinds of woods.

It might not hurt to google the wood you are using to see of there is any precautions you might need to take with it. I had no idea there was any problem with this wood. I am also finding that woods as common as walnut have specific allergies associated with them.

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Mooseherder

I guess this will be your last Pao Ferro Guitar.
It being a one of a kind makes it interesting.
Will you be able to finish it?

Dale Hatfield

Walnut makes me break out in a rash but doesnt itch.
Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

getoverit

You are right, this will be my one and only Pao Ferro Guitar. I have contracted with another luthier to put a catalyzed urethane finish on it for me. Once it has a finish, It wont be a danger any more.

low_48

I wouldn't mess around if I were you, I head right to the MD and get a steroid shot. It'll cut the suffering time a lot. I'd also try to get someone else in the shop and see if they would vacuum the place up. There will be dust around for quite a while. Might also consider a barrier cream for a while. I've read that a good way to test new species is to put a little sawdust on a band-aid and tape it on the inside of your arm near the pit, for a day and look for a reaction. Maybe better than a big rash. Kinda funny asking the hardwood supplier for a little dust before buying the wood. :D Good luck!

getoverit

My best friend came over this morning and vacuumed up the shop and cleaned everything up for me. When he saw the condition I was in, I think he felt sorry for me.

I have ordered a new clearview dust cyclone and a whole shop air cleaner system also and they both should be in later this week. I have also built a downdraft sanding table today. The guitar will leave my shop by wednesday, so I should be in good shape. If this isnt any better by tomorrow I'll go see the doc in the morning.

Dodgy Loner

I've had some woods (cocobolo was the worst) that made me sneeze constantly and my nose run like a drippy faucet, but I've never gotten a rash before.  I don't use many exotics, though, so I haven't had too many problems with allergies.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

brdmkr

I'm certified allergic to pecan among other things.  I have the allergy profile of a teenager!

I take a shot once a week and have not have any serious problems since.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

Well, I finally gave up trying to fight this and went to the Doc this afternoon. My lips were so sore that I couldnt hardly open my mouth to eat. My tongue and throat are sore too and from the neckline of the tshirt up looks like a zillion ants bit me.

They gave me a 12 day course of prednizone to take and from the first round of pills I am starting to get a little relief. The doc seemed amazed that I knew what it was that caused it and even further amazed that I knew what he was going to prescribe for it (pays to have internet friends who are doctors).

I bought the clearvue cyclone and it has been shipped to me. I bought a whole shop air filtration system made by Delta and I bought 40' of 6" thinwall PVC pipe and several boxes of fittings to upgrade my dust collection system from 4" to 6".  I have also built a downdraft sanding table and bought dust collection hoses to fit all of my sanders. One way or the other, I am going to make sure this kind of thing dont happen again.

Maybe in a couple of days I'll feel like going to the shop and installing some of this equipment.

I am sharing all of this to remind all of you that you need to take dust in the workshop seriously. I didnt and I am paying the price for it. Maybe I can save you some pain and grief.

jph

The timber merchant I occasionally buyer  Iroko from tells me that when he resaws it it makes his testacles itch.
But he says it's not too unpleasant.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

low_48

Quote from: jph on February 20, 2008, 06:11:24 AM
The timber merchant I occasionally buyer  Iroko from tells me that when he resaws it it makes his testacles itch.
But he says it's not too unpleasant.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Probably depends on who does the scratchin' ;)

beenthere

Gonna end up in da woodshed..... :-X :-X
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

crtreedude

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on February 19, 2008, 08:21:31 AM
I've had some woods (cocobolo was the worst) that made me sneeze constantly and my nose run like a drippy faucet, but I've never gotten a rash before.  I don't use many exotics, though, so I haven't had too many problems with allergies.

Cocobolo is of the same family as poison ivy, some people really break out from it.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

SwampDonkey

I use mostly white woods up here and not nay problems. But that walnut is sure dusty stuff I discovered. I was smelling walnut dust for as long as I was working with it. Smelt nice, but hooway, dust.  ;D

Good thing you took care of that allergy. That would end it pronto for me, and start using another wood species.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Daren

This link is about wood toxicity and instrument makers, I don't know if you have seen it. http://www.mimf.com/archives/toxic.htm
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

getoverit

I am a member of that forum also and I have seen it. you will notice that the wood I was working with, Pao Ferro, is a rare wood that is indeed a sensitizer to the eyes and skin. In my case, I guess it is because I breathed it in that it got into my mouth and caused the swollen lips, sore tongue and sore throat also. You will also notice that this wood is listed as rare. It is highly expensive wood and almost unheard of to find it in sizes big enough to build a whole guitar out of.

ater 24 hours of the steroids, I just look like I have a bad sunburn now. Most of the itching is gone and the swelling in my lips is about gone. My tongue and throat are still sore though.

I got the whole shop air filter installed today and cut all of the 6" pipe to upgrade my dust collection system. The cyclone is supposed to be here tomorrow so I should be able to get all of this behind me really soon.

I hope all of you take the dangers to your health seriously. It is the little things that can get you..in my case it was sawdust.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: crtreedude on February 20, 2008, 03:03:50 PM
Cocobolo is of the same family as poison ivy, some people really break out from it.

I think you're mistaken, crtreedude.  Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa) is in the legume family (Fabaceae).  Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is a member of the cashew family (Anacardiaceae).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!