iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porcupine damage and cures?

Started by Dieselrider, February 25, 2008, 07:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselrider

I have a gas well on the property and when it was put in the gas company pushed a bunch of cleared trees and stumps down the hill into a large long pile. This has made good den material for at least one and probably more porcupine which are killing several hemlocks, maples and beech trees right close by. Other than sheet metal around hundreds of trees, which isn't practicle,what effective way is there to oust these buggers and save the trees? Several hemlock are dead at the top now and they have been doing a number on several more along with the other species. I may try burning the brush pile but, that will be a long process as there is a mess there. Had I thought this would have been the case when they put the well in I would have had them do something different there.

I have heard about the survival food that porcupine can provide and all but, I also know the value of timber and what it can take to grow nice trees. Is there a good way to evict the freeloaders and encourage them to move on? Thanks.
Always try to be the best, but never think you are the best.

Jeff

Here is a good thread for you to read. If nothing else, its entertaining.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,9999.0.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

flip

A match and a little bit 'o gasoline.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

A pic or two of the brush pile will help...we like pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dieselrider

Quote from: flip on February 25, 2008, 09:43:23 AM
A match and a little bit 'o gasoline.

Actually, that is how I spent my morning today but, the snow cover and the  size of this very long brush pile are going to require alot more burning. This could turn into a very long summer or two project. I will try to get some pictures as I will need to head over there to check the fire anyway. I am also putting together an article on them little destructive buggers and will need more pics too.

I never had a clue when they put this well in that this would happen or I would have been after them to pile the stuff up so I could burn it earlier. I can't just let it there as it will last another 20 years. The trees will run out before that pile breaks down. This is such an ideal spot for the porcupine too. It's just a couple hundred feet from the road where they can eat salt in the spring and the den site is so close they don't need to travel far for trees or salt. They or it is really hammering the young maples too. Sigh!

uplander

Would it be possible to fence around the brush pile so they cant get out?
Can porcupines climb fences?

Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

beenthere

I've been led to believe that porkies are pretty easy to trap...is that a consideration?

Do they have trails in and out of the wood brush pile?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

Contact the well operator and make them come back and fix the well site.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ron Scott

Any Fishers in the area? They will keep the porcupines in control.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

A good heavy gage coyote snare on his trail will finish him off. The snare won't be any good after though, they ruin them. Sometimes the buggers travel hare paths to, easier walking.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Got a dog?My dog treeed one last year.I had the neighbor stand at the base of the tree,the porkie won't come down,and I went and got my gun.And yes,he's only got into one,so far.I hear him barking at one place,I go looking for him,gun in hand.I would go down there daily to see if you can see them in the trees.They cannot move all that fast.But will hide real fast.I have run up behind alot of them.I hate these things.Should see what they do to fruit and oak trees.Mine are still buried in 3 feet of snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dieselrider

Wow lots to answer here. First the fence around the brush isn't an option. I don't know if they climb fences or not but they sure can climb trees.
Trapping might be an option and yes they have trails but, alot of trails in and out of the brush and log pile.
As to the gas company coming back in they would probably tare up alot more area than they would save just to get the piles moved back away from the tree line.
Yes there are Fishers in the area as my dog treed one a year or two ago. Beautiful looking animal but, I don't think there are enough of them and there is probably alot of other things they will eat. I have read they will go after squirrels even in the trees they arte that quick and they will eat carian such as deer carcuses.
Yes my dog has treed porcupines in the past and he also knows what the quills feel like. We just can't seem to catch the buggers out of the den. They are easy to kill if you can catch them on the ground and usually easy to shoot in the trees but, you have to see them first.
How do I post pictures on here? I took several of the den area and the tree damage today and over the last several days.

thecfarm

Smoke bombs would drive them out.I use these for wood chunks.Yes,the smoke would go everywhere,but it would get them out in the open.I would tie them on to a long stick to get into the pile as far as you could.How big is this pile?Could you cover the pile with a tarp or tarps to keep the smoke in?Or cheap plastic drop cloths?
There is a help button on the top of the page for photos.Yes,there is alot to it,but it gets easier the more you do it.I think I'm safe in saying the photos are sized to help out people with dail up and the gallery is so the pictures will always be here.No dreaded red "X" when looking at past posts.If you have trouble,someone will help.Most times it's something real simple.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dail_h

World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Dieselrider

Quote from: thecfarm on February 25, 2008, 08:59:16 PM
There is a help button on the top of the page for photos.Yes,there is alot to it,but it gets easier the more you do it.I think I'm safe in saying the photos are sized to help out people with dail up and the gallery is so the pictures will always be here.No dreaded red "X" when looking at past posts.If you have trouble,someone will help.Most times it's something real simple.
That sure is alot to go through to load pics. Maybe at some other time.

beenthere

It's not really a lot of problem, and we'd sure like to see your pics.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Corley5

One way or another you need to get rid of their home.  Otherwise they'll keep coming back
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dieselrider

Quote from: Corley5 on February 25, 2008, 10:11:09 PM
One way or another you need to get rid of their home.  Otherwise they'll keep coming back
That is what I figure too. It looks like I know what my spare time will be spent on this summer.

Corley5

I'm always on the lookout for porky damage in our woodlots.  When I notice some I track it to their den tree which is usually a big hollow beech or basswood.  The tree is removed after I catch the porky sunning in the top  ;) :)  I've just cut the tree before and they'll continue to use it as a home with it laying on the ground.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dieselrider

Ok, I am trying this photo thing. I don't think I have ever put pics on a forum that took this much effort before.

Dieselrider

So much for that. they are in the gallery if you would care to see them.

Ok, I think that is much better. thank you all. smile_banjoman

beenthere

Dieselrider
Great pics.  You are 99% done. :)
Just load them in your message (you can modify your message with the modify button).
When at the message screen (blue), click on the line under the blue box.
"Upload or insert Photo"

Click on "My gallery" to see all your pics and click on the one you want us to see.

When it is up, scroll down (this is a step that can easily be missed) to the line that says:

Click here to copy this photo code directly to your Forestry Forum post window

That will past the pic in your message.
Preview button will let you look at what you have for further editing.

That is an awesome brush pile to get burning.

I often take some kindling wood with a bit of starter fluid (variety of those that work..diesel is good ;D). I go into the brush pile with the chainsaw and make a cave of cut brush and start that on fire with the kindling. Then I feed it until it is going good...additional cutting is sometimes needed, as well as pushing the pile toward the fire. That snow will have to melt too, and that doesn't aid good burning, but a good fire will overcome that.

south central Wisconsin

Ron Scott

Looks like they have a pretty secure den area. You will find more of them out in the open this spring after they have their young and are out after the new twig growth. It will take some persistent hunting and a lot of amo. ;)

We introduced the Fisher to some of the high value hardwood stands on the Ottawa National Forest in Michigan's U.P. some years back. They did a good natural and efficient porky control job.

If you have Fishers in the near area, check with your local DNR and trappers to see if they can live trap a pair and relocate them to your area. It appears that you have the "food source" for them. They will make quick work of the "bandits" in the brush pile.  
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Old apple trees burn nice.  ;D I burnt some all one winter as I was taking them down. They were dying back and hollow. They made nice bomb fires and all I used was newspaper and fine sticks to start the piles. I had to keep feeding the fire though, or you just get a burnt hole in the middle.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Quotebomb fire
....another Freudian slip? ;D

Maybe a bonfire...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonfire

much less "explosive"... ;D    ..but then those porkies might respond to a bomb, much faster. :)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!