iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting the elusive Michigan Pudding stone

Started by Jeff, June 14, 2008, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

I tried one of those nail pullers once. It hurt so bad that I went back to using nail clippers. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Jeff

Ya never know what ya might find in the puddin stone woods.  This old girl is 3.1 miles from the main road. Probably at least that far as the crow flies from any residence.  It sits back on the edge of an abandoned camp.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paul_H

I'll take it!! 8)
It appears to be in good shape.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

I think Lou might have the ability to claim it. I've been admiring it. The engine is in it, but the insides are pretty rough. I'll take more pics if I get back there this weekend.

Weekend_Sawyer

I hope you get it Jeff, that looks like a good project truck.
JOn
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Corley5

The engine still has oil in it  ;) :)  We all need more projects don't we  ??? ;D :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Me thinks Jeff already has a project truck. ;D ;D ;D

Maybe Lou is looking for one? :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

October Puddin woods,

Puttin some puddins in place. :)

Texas Ranger

DanG, you bury an elephant in that grave? ::)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Beautiful puddin woods.  Those are the nicest puddin trees that I have ever seen ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Nice rock garden. By the looks of the forest floor I am led to believe those stones came from elsewhere. ;D Nice sugar maple stand, look at all the new seedlings. ;D Actually, they may not be so new, could be 10 years old. ;) Where are all the undergrowth shrubs? Too park like. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Most of the stones come from right there. Its part of a hardwood ridge that runs several miles. There is no brush because there is no light. That woods has a full canopy. The stones are everywhere underfoot with only a small area exposed. You simply walk around until you find a puddin, or other stone to your liking.

SwampDonkey

That still don't explain it because there are shade tolerant shrubs that will grow up in the densest of woods. Also, the floor didn't look rough enough to be stony. I seen stony woods and there are lots of moss covered hard mounds on top. Maybe the seedlings cover up the stones. ;)  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

this is a natural area and the seedlings to hide the stones. You cant dig in the ground with a shovel. Its all stone and gravel.

Burlkraft

That maple woods is one of the most beautiful that I have ever seen.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Besides the fact that it holds a rich deposit of 'puddin stones the floor being covered with seedlings and the full canopy almost give it that jungle feel  ;)  ;)  ;)

I wish I could see it now when it's in full color. I'm sure that pictures just can's do it justice  :)  :)  :)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

Jeff

I have always gotten away with poo-pooing sweetest day. That it's just a hallmark holiday based on nothing. This year I was on my way up to bear hunt that day when Tammy called me to tell me she had bought me a wooden rose for sweetest day. I said, What the heck is sweetest day?"   She allowed me to get away with it again.

When we got up north I took a bike ride to do just a short bit of pudding stone hunting. I only had about an hour before we wanted to go out and sit in the bear blind. I didnt go ti my usual haunt, but a closer unexplored site. I spent almost all my allotted time in the woods and didnt find anything so decided to give up and head for the bike and back to the cabin. As I stepped out of the wood edge and on to the rocky trail, I looked down and there it was. One step from the bike staring back up at me. I picked it up and stashed it until I could give it to Tammy when I got home.

I guess this means from now on, I have to believe that yes, there is a sweetest day.  :)

Warbird

What is "sweetest day"?  Is that a different name for Valentine's Day?   smiley_headscratch

beenthere

What's in the photo? ???

A sweetness? ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on October 27, 2008, 10:16:53 PM
What's in the photo? ???

A sweetness? ;D ;D

If yer seriously asking, its a fist size pudding stone with a red jasper stone embedded in it that sort of resembles an elongated heart. :)

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Never knew what sweetest day was.First time I have ever heard of it.It never made it this far north.  :D
You sure do have some pretty rocks up your way.All I have are ugly ones on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DanG

We don't have no rock around here, but I do have some bricks from the Hatfieldian and McCoyan ages. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!