iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hunting the elusive Michigan Pudding stone

Started by Jeff, June 14, 2008, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

You got you some mighty fine bricks there DanG. Make sure you hold on to em for prosperity sake.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

There now. All you need is a little cement, a few shovel fulls of yard sand, a wheel barrel, water and a shovel and mix up yourself some calcified sandstone of the Dangnabbit age. No radiometric dating required. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

While I've been up here on my property working and planting and planting trees, I've been taking time to hunt up some pudding stones too. Here are the two smallest ones I have kept. They are a little bigger then a softball and are beeootiful.  :)

I've brought about a dozen back to the cabin. About half were all I wanted to handle at around basketball size.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Jeff
We understand, after watching the tree hugger video.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I might have sounded a bit like em after I picked up the biggest one and carried it out to the trail the bike was on.
I gotta find a way to put handles on em.

Don K

Make you a little high wheel cart with a long handle that you can throw on the back of the ATV. You could have a two piece handle that goes toether with wingnuts. Two of those back wheels off a high wheel mower would work just dandy. You could flag the rocks as you find them then go back with your trailer and get them. You hunt puddin stones like I hunt litard knots. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

I'm picturing a smaller size stone, maybe golf ball sized, and put into a polisher. Maybe even as large as a tennis ball, depending on the size of the colored crystals so as to get a lot of color in the polished stone. ;D

I'm also wondering what a diamond cutting wheel could do on very large stones, to be cut for counter top or for around a fireplace, but not where heat is going to be extreme.

Lots of dreaming. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

OneWithWood

I think I am seeing inclusions of jasper, quartz and perhaps onyx.  What else is likely to be in one of these multi-jeweled stones?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

ADAMINMO

Them are cool ... My wife would love one of those. My mom would love one more because she is a rock collector. She could walk a creek bank for hours and find some pretty neet rocks. Thats cool.

isawlogs

Yep them is real nice looking rocks . I could see one of them inmy aquarium .   ;)     8) 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Marcel, I'll have a dandy waiting for you to pick up at the pigroast. :)

I think the Ontario Pudding Stones, of which these are, are made up primarily of quartz and Jasper. There are lots of colors of Jasper including variegated versions as well.

SwampDonkey

Probably even Agate, which is another interesting Chalcedony, in which Jasper is also grouped. They are other forms of silicates as is quartz.

Jeff

A couple of my latest finds.   

Yesterday I decided I would walk around the yard and count just the pudding stones I have put in and around the flower gardens and yard. I figured I had 30 or better.  I misjudged.  Turns out I had 115.

WDH

Maybe you should develop a market in stones  ???.  And, I am not talking about turkeys or the various osyters  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I've got an item in the wanted forum right now because I  am thinking the same thing. These stones are beautiful when sliced. They could be used for all kinds of things.

WDH

Boss, I think that you are on to something.

SwampDonkey

If you could make some counter tops from slices, it sure would be hard stuff. Even an inlay of a smaller slice in a coffee table.  8)

Weekend_Sawyer

I saw a floor that used sliced stones like tilework, looked great.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Dave Shepard

There is a house about 7 miles from me that has a tiled floor from rocks found on site. When they sliced them up they found fossilized ferns and other plants in them. :o 8) We have a quarry at work, and we make marble floor tiles.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

isawlogs

So what kind of saw does one use to cut a stone the size of those puddin' stones ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SPIKER

Quote from: Jeff on December 03, 2009, 06:28:01 PM

Yesterday I decided I would walk around the yard and count just the pudding stones I have put in and around the flower gardens and yard. I figured I had 30 or better.  I misjudged.  Turns out I had 115.

HEY looks like you are getting greedy!, better start sharing :) ;) 8)

ME FIRST! 8)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

isawlogs

Spiker .. ya can't be first in line .    smiley_smug01

Marcel

Phantom9

Hi I am new and excited to join. Im from northern michigan and also have a vast stone collection.  I cut pudding stones all the time, I sell them at craft shows for around 15 bucks a tile. I also invented a leter holder for nature lovers. I get pics asap.  Very Very nice stones jeff.
You are born with the element of surprise.

Thank You Sponsors!