iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Upgrading a TF Garage

Started by Shovel Man, December 22, 2008, 07:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shovel Man

Couple of years ago I framed a tractor shed for my brother. 8 x 8 posts, 6 x 6 braces etc. Made lap joint siding from 5/4 White Oak. Sturdy stuff, you can bounce the tractor off it. There is a 4ft overhang so the weather doesn't get to most of the siding. He planned to leave a big opening in the side so no need for sheathing. The 3 x 12 siding girts and siding are exposed on the inside. It looks great inside and out.

Well since then he's filled the opening with big windows and added heat. But the wind blows thru the siding. He's caulking it with rope. Not a good answer. I'm afraid the wood will continue to move and any caulk will fall out or at least leak. Any suggestions that will be easy and look ok?

Ok that was a lot to ask, what is the real answer.

Mortice

This is the aplication Typar (Dupont) was made for. Wrap it and side it.

Tim L

Do the best you can and don't look back

Michigan Mike

If I'm picturing this correctly in my head the siding is on and you don't want to take it of and sheath the building and reside. Insulation bats would work but may not be what your looking for for looks. I would cut styrofoam or thermmax sheathing to fit between the girts. Hold it in with a trim strip. If you want more finish or durability cover it with plywood or cheap paneling.

Thank You Sponsors!