iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First time cabin builders needing input!!!

Started by milling man, September 27, 2008, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonhill

I have three sided, D-shaped logs in one of my timber frames, they are called post.  I did peel the bark off. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thehardway

Oh boy, I created a monster.  I have a three sided "d" log in my house and it is called a beam and it is not a "log cabin" either, I too peeled the bark,  I didn't mean to imply all homes with 3 sided "D" logs are log cabin's.  I guess it was the combination of words "three sides" and "cabin"  As timberframes are not as commonly called cabins although they can be...  :-\ wow this is confusing

Now that I'm thinking about it is a tee pee a cabin?
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

zopi

Quote from: Ironman on November 20, 2008, 03:17:06 PM
Well I can't right now either, but I'm hoping after the US government goes bankrupt, land well be real cheap. :D

oh they won't they'll take it out of US!

Somebody sent me a picture posted up on wall st the other day...big cardboard sign that said "Jump
#$%^ers!"

No a teepee is not a cabin...it is a lodge...

Does Airstream make yurts?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Brad_bb

I've also seen a bunch of barns with  big 2 side sawn logs for floor joists, many times with bark left on.  Given that either type of cabin will be a new type of construction for him, I'd steer him towards the timberframe.  A bit less log work, because less is needed, and maybe a little less joint cutting, but still the rustic look and feel.  I guess is just depends what look he's after.  It doesn't seem as though he's responded in awhile or answered this question.  Maybe we should hold up and stop building until he does?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Stephen1

I was thinking the same thing, a lot of posts and no response, hope thinks are okay.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

jmmy6767

New guy to this sight.  Found you guys through ARKANSAWYER at Woodweb.   Lots of good info here.  I to am getting ready to become a first time builder.  My first project is going to be a simple shed.  I have red oak, cedar and walnut on the property.  Although the walnut trees are not very large in dia.  I was told That I cant sink the posts in conrete if they are not pressure treated.   My problem is that I really want to build only using lumber that I harvest myself  from the land.   If I were to pour support piers can I anchor the posts directly to the tops of the piers?  Ive seen different anchors sold at home depot, etc   But doesn't really seem anywhere near as strong or lasting as something sunk in four feet of concrete.   Any help would be really appreciated.  Trying  to give my son, some of the love for the outdoors, and the country that my grandparents gave to me. 
jimmy

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Welcome to the forum Jimmy6767 You will find all the info you need here meet plenty of top people and have a good time tooboot Mate  ;) ;D 8)

With your upcoming project's I'd go with making your own brackets for your shed as the store brought ones just wont cut it Dad and I had hundreds of them made over the years by a local Engineer as down here everything in a building has to be passed by the building inspector we just found it shut him up quicker  ;) :D :D dads made some up himself over the years but they have mainly been for sheds and small additions  ;) I myself would not put timber in if it was going to be surrounded by concrete 2 or 3 sides in a shed situation maybe ;) ??? if it was a sawn say6x6 or 8x8 or had the sapwood shaved of where it was in contact with the concrete  ;) ;D ;D

Regards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: jmmy6767 on December 19, 2008, 04:12:54 PM
New guy to this sight.  Found you guys through ARKANSAWYER at Woodweb.   Lots of good info here.  I to am getting ready to become a first time builder.  My first project is going to be a simple shed.  I have red oak, cedar and walnut on the property.  Although the walnut trees are not very large in dia.  I was told That I cant sink the posts in concrete if they are not pressure treated.   My problem is that I really want to build only using lumber that I harvest myself  from the land.   If I were to pour support piers can I anchor the posts directly to the tops of the piers?  Ive seen different anchors sold at home depot, etc   But doesn't really seem anywhere near as strong or lasting as something sunk in four feet of concrete.   Any help would be really appreciated.  Trying  to give my son, some of the love for the outdoors, and the country that my grandparents gave to me. 

It is usually recommended that you don't put wood into concrete. The wood will wick water up from the concrete and rot.
Plus you're creating a concrete cup for the water to sit in and with the wood in there it will rot.

Most codes require wood to be 8" or more above finish grade to prevent wood from rotting out.
You could pour your concrete supports with some metal bolts sticking out to attach a bracket to hold your post.
Arkansawyer has a great set of pictures about how he does it, maybe in his gallery....

And there is lots of information here about concrete and wood, you maybe should do a search and read up on the ways others have done it, successfully in the past....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jmmy6767

Thanks for the advice, I just spoke to the building inspector ,   He had know problem with the posts being attatched withbrackets.  He just wants to see a drawing of the building, and make sure its the right distances from property lines,  etc...   Seems to be a easy going guy.    I  will post some pics of my place as soon as I can .    Everybody have a merry christmas, and a happy new year!
jimmy

milling man

sorry guys i havent been on the forum latley.  but we want a log cabin with d style logs

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!