iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is there a market for Eastern Red cedar in the upper midwest?

Started by lyle-111, May 19, 2009, 12:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle-111

I'm a greenhorn with a few acres of maturing Eastern Red Cedar on my property. I'm wondering if there is a local market for logs, posts, boards, mulch, etc..

The logs range in size from:  12" dia at base, to 6" dia at 8' length,  to 16"-20" dia at base, to 10"-14" at 8' length.

Smaller size logs are also available.

Also, how do you figure the value of a log?

Thanks, Lyle

CLL

I'm sure cedarman can' help you more, but we don't buy cedar less than 7" at 8' unless its pulp wood, I live in Missouri though. Right now cedar is 7.5-10 cents a bdft, on the stump, 35-40 cents delivered to mill.
Too much work-not enough pay.

ARKANSAWYER

You can look at the scale and tell how many bdft in the log.  Here I am paying $0.40 bdft for cedar scaled.  So a  6 inch 8 ft log is $4.40.
ARKANSAWYER

lyle-111

Thanks for the scale.  How do you come up with a diameter on a tapered log?

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

lyle-111

Thanks again.  As I stated earlier, I am really a rookie at this so I appreciate everyone's input. 

I posted a add here in MN today, and already have a couple guys interested in some logs. (Now that I know a fair asking price)

sparky

Lyle,

Where are you located? I may be interested in your cedar logs. I live in the Minneapolis area, but am part of an antique tractor club in Dalton, MN.

Will
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

Cedarman

There are markets for cedar from 2" on up.  For small poles, I would try the peeled post furniture makers and see if any would want to use red cedar instead of white cedar.  Maybe get one to try it.   There is about 5000 acres somewhere in Mn that they want cleared.  We send some cedar lumber into Wisc.   You just have to beat the bushes any way you can.  Our price list is on our website  www.cedarusa.com   Doesn't make it the right price, just our price.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ARKANSAWYER

IT would amaze you the amount I send back up north in RV's.  I have shoved 500+ bdft in many a ride.  We get folks who come down every summer and they call ahead and place orders and send checks then pick up their wood for the trip back.
  So rethinking this maybe you do not need to worry about trying to sell any up there at all. ;)
ARKANSAWYER

lyle-111

Wow, 5000 acres to clear?  I'd like to see that operation.
What's the best time and way to peel these cedar logs?

sparky

Lyle,

Do you have any cedar logs for sale? I have a definate interest.

Sparky in MN
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

lyle-111

Sparky,
Check to see if you have a personal reply from me. Otherwise, is it Ok to give out a phone # on this forum? 
Lyle

Cedarman

Morbark has a peeler.  Semologger has one I think.
Roundwood systems out of Montana has a doweling machine for about 120, 000 that will take a half dozen logs a minute and turn out perfect cylinders.
If someone had a wild hair, they might try  a business of peeling cedars for fencing in a big way.
I think the cedars in Mn are for the taking if you do a complete clear cut.
We have a couple million acres in Oklahoma and are getting further behind each day.

sparky

Lyle,

I sent you a personal message (PM) with my e-mail address and phone number. It is probably not a good idea to give out phone numbers in a reply. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sparky

TheWoodsman

I have experience producing rustic furniture with hickory poles and I'm currently experimenting with eastern red cedar.  The thing about the small poles is that guys like me can only buy them if we know where to find them.  If they aren't advertised then they'll probably never sell. 
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Cedarman

Woodsman, if you can't find enough poles locally, we can provide.  There is a good bit of cedar south of you in Ohio, Switzerland and Jefferson counties.

A good website is invaluable.

Thank You Sponsors!