The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: looking for log skidder  (Read 7073 times)

Offline aksawyer

• Share Post
looking for log skidder
« on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:15 AM »
Hello to all today.Thought I would chime in to ask anyone in the Wash.Ore.Idaho area know of any good smaller skidder for sale.Acually prefer one here in Alaska for sale but as of lately we have had a serge of people moving up from lower 48 looking for them also,as many people are selling firewood here now.Thanks Aksawyer.......26 below here today.P.S.     666 clark...c4 treefarmer...240TJ....garrett10...or so on.Dont like IH because of parts problems....518 would work

Offline Frank H.

• Share Post
Re: looking for log skidder
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 07:09:43 AM »
Hi aksawyer,

I wanted an old Franklin or Treefarmer to replace the C4 treefarmer I sold, because parts for the C4 were so easy to get.  (3-53, T98 truck transmission, etc.)  I've always been an IH guy with the trucks and tractors, however, so when I found a s-7 for sale, I looked at it and...3-53 engine, T98 warner trans, and all valves and stuff replacable with common items.  I'd be a little scared of something with powershift and all on the bigger IH's, just cause I can't afford to have a dealer do my work, but the little s-7 is OK in my book.  Just my two cents here.  Take it for what it is worth. 

Frank H.

Offline donny hochstetler

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »
I"M also looking for a good older skidder,somthing cheap that could still be dependable i have been really leaning towards a clark have heard a lot of good things but have actually never run one  I found a real nice 667 with a 453 detroit  >:( what do you guys think about the detroit  I would be tempted to buy it but would prefer cummmins over detroit. 240s are nice machines if you can keep brakes on them

Offline Frank H.

• Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 06:39:57 AM »
That old 53 series detroit will be running a long time. I'd not be afraid of them.  Your eardrums might be, however.   :D

Frank

Offline Mark K

• Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with a detroit, if you wear earplugs and a helmet with earmuffs you'll be fine or you will be walking around saying "WHAT" to everybody that talks to you. :D I"ve had one in my 225 timberjack for 7 years. Always starts with a little coaxing on the coldest days.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Offline mrnero

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
...with a 453 detroit   what do you guys think about the detroit ..
the old in line (2 cycle) Detroit's will run forever as long as there is a Allison tranny behind it. There good on fuel but loud when running. I was told,the only bad side effect is,  if you idle these engines for any length of time, they have a tendency to load up with fuel and they can become a run away (over-reving) engine aka as a screaming Detroit. Furthermore, I think that's the only engine that I know of that has an oil crank case in a 2 cycle engine block. :D

Offline Mark K

• Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 05:46:07 PM »
My father was a detroit mechanic for twenty years and he was the main reason I bought one. If you let them idle for a long time they will wet stack or will blow raw fuel out the exhaust. When you talk about overreving or running away, that is caused by bad blower seals. It will start to run on its own motor oil sucking it from the base. I have never had it happen but heard of it. 453 is a good motor as long as it doesnt have the aluminum block which was used in marine applications. Sometimes people would swap them in and they cant take the heat of a cast block. I dont mind the noise, it really sounds like your getting something done. :D I run mine about thirty hours a week with very few problems.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Offline Shawn Bevins

• Share Post
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 10:30:03 AM »
 The new OXTRAC unit has a 36 hp Perkins deisel engine and can skid up 3 times it's own weight 4100 lbs X 3 = 12300 lbs , as for parts we have all parts in stock and ready to ship to anywhere in North America within 24 hours.  I have included a video and tech specs for your review, we will also in the very near future offer this unit with a standard skidsteer plate front and rear so all the attachments you see at this link http://www.quick-attach.com/  will fit onto the machine, also the name of the machine has been changed to OXTRAC.

Offline mad murdock

• Senior Member x2
  • The woods is the best "office"!
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
I ran an old Clarke Ranger with the 453 detroit, could drag out 3 truckloads a day, running my own chokers and getting out and limbing once in a while.  I have a Garrett Mod 15A diesel now, nice machine, easy on fuel, and parts are reasonable.  Call don Garrett @ 360 825 2500, to see if he knows any guys willing to sell their machine.  He stocks a fair amount of Garrett parts too.  Good luck
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Offline donny hochstetler

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 07:25:44 PM »
 I found a clark triple six, forsale, about six hundred miles from here. were leaving at midnight to check it out .Looks like I might be cutting veneer timber this winter ::)

Offline timberjack240

• show me a man witha timberjack ill show you a rea
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:19:12 PM »
everyhting we have rite now is detroit .. there good engines take a serious beatin .. good on fuel .. lil niosy i gess .. im so used to it i can run one 13 hrs a day and it dont bother me i jsut tune it out. when its cold they need a lil ether from time to time  .. make you sure you got oil handy cause they are oil slobberin buggers .. we had an oil cooler gasket leakin you could follow it haha but any detroit ive ever seen leaks and burns a lil oil.  but overall very dependable .. cheap to replace easy to work on and great on fuel ..even w me runnin it  :D i would be scared of one

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Advice on improving skidder stability ?!? Bought a new to me skidder need tips..

Started by RunningRoot on Forestry and Logging

96 Replies
Last post November 10, 2014, 04:45:59 AM
by Nate379
wireless
Arch skidder vs 3 point skidder

Started by WMcGinn on Forestry and Logging

55 Replies
Last post August 01, 2021, 04:41:14 PM
by Old Greenhorn
xx
Skidder question and a question about Clark skidder