iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Would you buy used rafters?

Started by Gilman, May 30, 2010, 07:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

40 ft./ 6ft. rise Trusses - $1200

24 trusses and gables large enough to make a pole barn 32x40 on 16 inch spread, or 40x46 on 24 inch spread. Manufactured trusses from 2x4 construction. Removed from church building with care last year. Can deliver. Call XXX-XXXX These trusses sell for $200 each normally, will sell for $50 each. Must buy all or none.

Would you buy used rafters to use for a saw shed?

Looking for your input.

Thanks, David
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Raider Bill

I would provided they didn't look all tore up during removal.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

isawlogs

I would go take a look , and if my eyes see good . in a flash .  8)  That is as cheap as you can get .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Larry

Used trusses wouldn't bother me a bit if in good condition.  I might have to think a bit about 40' span, 2 X 4 construction, and not much pitch.  You will be restricted to 2' on center which may be ok.  2 X 6 trusses you might be able to go 4' on center.  You have much of a snow load?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gunman63

40' span with only 2x4 material , i dont know if id trust  them, but then i live in snow load country. but if they were 2x6 or 2x8 on the bottoms  u should be fine

Left Coast Chris

A couple of things to consider:

1)  What snow load where they designed for and does it match the current snow load at the location you are planning to use them?

2)  If you are not going to support them with walls you will use beams.  If they are 40' span with a 2' over hang you have 22' tributary width at the bearing plate or beam you will set them on.   If the dead load is 10lbs per sp ft and the snow load is 30 lbs per sq ft you will have (30+10)x22' = 880lb per foot on a beam or top plate.  You will need a pretty large beam to span any distance with 880# per foot.   You will also need square footings sized for the point load at the ends of the beam.  Suggest you think through the design of your structure and permit requirements before you decide to go forward.   Will the County or City you are in require an engineer to design such a large building?

3)  Trusses or beams will take on dead load deflection that can become permanent.  Sight down the bottom chord and see if they have sag and how much they have.

4)  Be careful about hauling them laid flat.  The gang nail plates can be over stressed by bending in the flat direction if you pick them up with narrow forks in the middle.

Let us know if you go forward and post some pics!  Sounds like a fun project.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

zopi

No...but then I have a sawmill..:D

pretty much any building i build for myself will be optimized for interior space..I wouldn't really use modular trusses that interfere with loft space...I'd likely put up a timber/pole frame with kingposts...a loft that size will store a bunch of lumber...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

logwalker

Midwest Plan Service has a lot of info about trusses. You can find a close comparison for yours and get an idea of what they will hold up. I used there plans to builld my 32' span trusses. They are still up.  ;)

Joe

http://www.mwps.org/
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Gilman

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!