iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Silt fence material

Started by Kevin_H., November 04, 2003, 03:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin_H.

Anyone know where to get the material to make silt fencing?

We are already making the grade stakes and would like to provide our customers with the silt fencing too.

anyone else doing this?
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ron Scott

One source to contact for your nearest supplier is:

Belton Industries, Inc.
8613 Roswell Road
Atlanta, GA 30350
1-404-587-0257
Toll Free 1-800-225-4099

www.beltonindustries.com
~Ron

Kevin_H.

Thanks Ron,

I had been searching before you posted, but was coming up empty.

For anyone else looking
Belton has a website     www.beltonindustries.com

From there you can use your zip code to find your nearest distributor

Thanks again Ron
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Steve_McDonald

The material for silt fence is called a "geotextile". A google search using that term will bring up most of the major manufacturers like Mirafi and Phillips. The next thing to find out the specs required by your local state DEQ or DOT for the silt fencing such as minimum weight, porosity, etc to make sure your fence will pass inspection. Normally you will have to buy from a distributor such as a road construction supply company as the major manufacturers won't deal in small lots.
 In Michigan we normally buy the silt fence already preassembled with stakes from local distributors so you do have some competition.

Kevin_H.

I had noticed that some of the sites had different listings for DOT approved and Conservation approved and the like.

I will have to do some more searching to find out exactly what we need, but you dont know until you try

It may come to be that I will not be able to buy the material, add the stakes and be competative.

sawyerkirk

Hey Kevin. I got my rolls from Midwest Construction Supply in Indy. I believ they were .08/lf for the 2' and .13/lf for the 3' non dot applroved, don't even think about the dot.We decided to quit making it, and simply supply the stakes, Way to time consuming and not enough profit margin.  If you would like to try it, I have a roll of 2' and 3' left, plus the roller machine I built. My suggestion would be to stick with making the stakes. Are you just selling them locally? I have coulple of silt fence companies who need more stakes than can get. It's a rerally good market right now.

VA-Sawyer

Are any of them out towards Virginia ?  Tell us more about these silt fence stakes.

Rick

sawyerkirk

The silt fence stakers we make are going to Indianapolis and Chicago and detroit. 1.5x1.5x3 or 4  chisel pointed. we average about $800/1000bf FOB my mill.

Kevin_H.

kirk, I sent you a PM,

Thanks for the info.

Thank You Sponsors!