iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Vise?

Started by Phorester, November 25, 2010, 07:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorester

I'm in the process of building a woodworking bench.  I already have a face vise.
I can't decide on what type of end vise to get.  A tail vise - the narrow one mounted along the front of the bench with one dog hole and where you can put boards vertically between it and the other end of the vise, or an end vise - the one that goes all the way across the end of the bench  that has 2 dog holes.

Which do you use and why?

Jasperfield

Like you I have a face vice, but I also have a tail vice which wraps around the front right hand end of the bench and along a portion of the right end of the bench.

This tail vice has rectangular dog holes along it's longitudinal section (parallel to the bench) and one dog hole along the short portion (of the vice) that wraps around the right hand end of the bench.

I like this arrangement because, with two dogs, it will hold a board flat for face planeing or hold the board on its edge for jointing with a jointer plane.

An end vice extending across the end of the bench would also work well, especially so if the vice will remain parallel to the end of the bench when cranking it closed. This type end vice usually has one or more flip-up dogs to use for clamping. A vice of this type is usually cast and employs a chain drive to keep the vice face parallel to the bench end.

The latter type is particularly useful for clamping a board's end to near flush, with the bench top, for cutting dovetails.

Phorester

Thankee Sir!
The kind of info I'm looking for. I suspect that two benches each with the different type vises would be best, so you could use each for it's particular purpose with all the wood-holding strength of each design for it's specific use.  Or the kind you describe which wraps around the corner of the bench and incorporates the advantages of both, but is more expensive and more complex to install.  But I only have one bench, so I'm looking for the type of vise that would be the most useful.

Anybody use these vises on their benches?

Thank You Sponsors!