iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snagged, tagged and bagged!!!!

Started by gator gar, March 26, 2011, 10:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

Hey...am I the only one doing this type of stuff, these days???? How do ya'll like my homemade Whizbang chicken plucker??? 3 in and 3 out in about 15 to 20 seconds. If that scald water is right, those feathers fly off those chickens.

Norm

Wow nice job!

We used to raise meat chickens but got tired of the plucking part so quit doing so. Your plucker looks awesome, care to show a bit more on it? :)

gator gar

Youtube- Whizbang chicken plucker and you will see it in action.

Burlkraft

Yup...chicken pluckin' was not my favorite job

That plucker does an awesome job!

Nuthin' like home raised chicken  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

Wish I'd had one many years ago. Every Sat. when the fryers were selling, my job was to get 25 chopped, defeathered, and in the kitchen for Dad and Mom to finish and package for delivery.
But as you say, get the scald temp just right and the feathers will slide right off. The smell was the unpleasant part, and it still lingers in my brain.

Now to watch your vid.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

How man chickens could a chicken plucker pluck, if a chicken plucker could pluck chickens?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Norm

gator gar

Nope, that one ain't mine. :D But, we built ours off the same plans. There is a guy out there that wrote the book on how to build the plucker and I bought the book and built it. There are a bunch of those things around, somewhere in the U.S. Around this time of the year, when kids are showing broilers, you can have friends real quick, if you own a mechanical tub style chicken plucker.

WildDog

Thats great Gator, the blue 44gal drum is a good idea, the drum pluckers I've seen have been stainless steel and pricey.......I am thinking that a couple of wizzs around that drum before letting them out again would take the crow outa the wifes young roosters that have been waking me at 4am. ;)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

SPIKER

bet a woman I work with would love to barrow that now, yesterday something got into her chicken roost & killed all her chickens early friday, just bit their  necks & killed em all...
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

fishpharmer

Gator Gar, you brought back chicken plucking memories for me too. Gonna have one of those whizbang pluckers built if we get more chickens. Thanks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

LeeB

Quote from: SPIKER on March 26, 2011, 05:25:29 PM
bet a woman I work with would love to barrow that now, yesterday something got into her chicken roost & killed all her chickens early friday, just bit their  necks & killed em all...
mark

That would be a possum.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SPIKER

Quote from: LeeB on March 27, 2011, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: SPIKER on March 26, 2011, 05:25:29 PM
mark

That would be a possum.

They were thinking mink or weasel do to only a small round hole in the floor board under one of the corners.  Skunks will eat the chicken head and move to the next one.   these seemed to just be killed from what her hubby said Friday, I will hear more in morning...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

kderby

Gator Gar,

I have much the same set up:  Turkey fryer for a scalder plus a WhizBang=Naked chickens!

Crockpot gets most of ours.  We let them grow large and run a round the yard.  The flavor is wonderfull but they can be tough if prepared like store bought chix.   We had chicken Casa Dias for dinner, homegrown chicken!!!

We also get a dozen eggs a day for personal use and some for the neighbors.

Thanks for posting and sharing the news!

kderby

gator gar

These chickens were 5 and a 1/2 weeks old and pushing 6 and 1/2 to 7 pounds on the hoof. Very good meat, no matter how you cook it. Very tender too. The show is tommorow and we culled the last of them last night. Gonna kill some more shortly.

isawlogs

Ah, the joy of bird defeathering,  ::) this will make the process almost bareble again. This is a definate to do project.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

I've had mink to kill and eat duckling through chicken wire.  If they can snag any part of them, they are gone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jasperfield

As I recall, between the chicken, the hot water, and the feathers... it smells really good, too.

Magicman

I remember the first time that I had to do service work in a chicken processing plant.  I didn't want any chicken for a while.   smiley_thumbsdown
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Burlkraft

Quote from: Magicman on March 30, 2011, 10:00:01 PM
I remember the first time that I had to do service work in a chicken processing plant.  I didn't want any chicken for a while.   smiley_thumbsdown

It was a local fleet of produce delivery trucks that we had as a customer years ago that did it for me.

It was the middle of summer, a Monday morning in August and one of these trucks was left in the shop over the weekend. I really had never seen so many maggots on a floor before. It looked like it was alive. The smell was unbelievable. I really felt sorry for the technician I had to put on that job. At the end of the day I slipped him a 50.

It was a very long time before I could eat chicken...a very long time    :-X

I'm pretty sure the night shift did it on purpose  >:(
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!