iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Puttin' on a show"...historically speaking

Started by Rooster, August 14, 2011, 01:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Last weekend Brad_bb and I participated in the Franklin Grove Summer Harvest Festival at the Chaplin Creek Village just outside of Franklin Grove, IL  http://www.chaplincreek.com/index.html

The historical society down there invites demonstrators to show "old world" crafts or skills in order to educate and entertain the public.  We brought our traditional timber-framing tools, and some timbers and made pieces and parts for a couple sets of timber saw horses. 

The weather was a bit warm, but we at least had some shade to work under.  We actually spent more time talking and visiting with the public than being highly productive framers!!  ;D

I would encourage anyone who would like to share their love of TF with others to contact your local historical societies and offer to demostrate at one of their public events.  I would be surprised if you were not warmly welcomed by those in charge of the events.

Has anyone else done this sort of thing?  Care to share?

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Dave Shepard

When I have the time, I demonstrate blacksmithing at Hancock Shaker Village, Hancock, MA. I've thought about talking to them about setting up a few timbers and going up there once a week to work on them. People really like to see things being made.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rooster

Last summer I did a demo at an antique power club reunion in Southern Wisconsin called The Rock River Thresheree.
http://www.thresheree.org/

There was a small enterence fee to the park, but there was lots to see.  At one point I had upwards of 20 people standing there watching me cut a mortise.  It struck me as being sort of ironic and I commented to the crowd,
"You know, If a 100 yrs ago, you were to tell a carpenter that in the future, people would pay to watch you work,...he would think you were crazy."

My, how things have changed.

Rooster

"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Thehardway

I did a similar demonstration at a local outdoors show, I demonstrated hewing short timbers with an adze and then cut,assembled bored and pegged the timbers into a mortice and tenon mailbox post which was then auctioned off for charity at the end of the show.  I had quite a few folks interested in the procedure but just about all of them said it looked like too much work and they would stick to their power tools. I might have some pics somewhere.
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

Brad_bb

It was a bit hot, and aside from my wardrobe malfunctions(my suspenders broke- multiple times), it was a good event.  We made at lease a little progress on a new set of Roosters timber frame "Mare and Colt" saw horses.  I think I did 4 mortises, several square timber cutoff demos, and laid out part of one upright.  Maybe Rooster will post them sometime  ;D
I'm planning on doing a local demo next spring(late march), so it will be nice and cool.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dave Shepard

How long to cut off an 8"x8"x16' white pine timber?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Rooster

Ya know, I didn't think to time Brad_BB while he was sawing, but it seemed to be pretty quick.  Then again he is left-handed, so it is good that he brought his own saw ;)

This has given me an idea.  Maybe at the next Pig roast, we could host a friendly competition.

Timbersports...FF style!

Maybe get some two man crosscut saws and some EWP 8x8s.

cut_tree smiley_smash fly_smiley smiley_swinging_board splitwood_smiley
Mike Rowe

Rooster

Brad_bb

Yeah, It is pretty quick, but I am definitely not trying to hurry as I want to make sure the cut is square.  Layout maybe 1 minute, Chisel pre-kerf(4 sides)- 2 min, Saw pre-kerf(4 sides)- 2 min, Actual sawing-2.5 min?  So 7.5 minutes maybe for a square accurate finished cut?  I might be a little conservative on this estimate though.  This is just a guess.  The actual cutting time is pretty short.  Your kerfs guide your cut allowing you to cut at this speed. I told Rooster I need to make a video of this.  I presented a "how to saw square" pictorial on this forum within the last year, but Rooster just showed me an addition trick (chisel pre-kerf), that makes it even easier.  I'll try to make a Youtube video in the near future.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!