iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

suffolk band setter

Started by slider, February 12, 2012, 05:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

anyone here using a dual tooth suffolk  setter ? I will pose my question standing in front of the setter with the handle on my right.that is pulling the band toward me.logic tells me that the anvils should be spaced equal ,or protruding out from the support equal on both sides.to get this thing to set the teeth equal on both sides the anvil on the left side is protruding   67 thousandths more than the one on the right.i am setting .055 bands.both sides of the vice are spring loaded.is this correct or am i doing something wrong ? I reset the anvils equal and started over just to see with no luck.I'm thinking the left side compensates for the thickness of the blade.sure wish this thing had dial indicators like the cooks.it works but just looks wrong.thanks   al
al glenn

Kansas

Our suffolk setter doesn't like the 055 blade that well, but it does work. You do need a dial indicator to check the set, just adjust the two adjusting knobs to get the set you want. We never pay attention to anything but the set after finishing adjusting the knobs per the dial indicator. If you run your blades in a series, such as a box of blades, makes things a bit easier.

Nomad

I've never used a Suffolk setter, but that sure don't sound right to me either.  Invest in a cheap dial caliper.  You can easily measure your set with one of those.  Available at lots of different places.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Kansas

I would have thought suffolk would have sent one with the setter. It comes standard with the setter. Otherwise they are about 100 bucks. You might find one cheaper, but I will tell you this; Art and Tom are outstanding there to answer all your questions. Even if you get one elsewhere, look at what they have, and they will be very willing to answer your questions.  If you don't have one, get one of their protractors too to measure hook angle if you don't have one. They are invaluable.

slider

thanks kansas,i do have the dial caliper and can get close with a bit of fiddling around just takes a while to get it dead on.may be you hit on something ,this setter may not like these .055 bands.seams like the .042 didn't give this much trouble.
al glenn

bandmiller2

Due to the springy nature of the bands trial and error is the only way and that changes with different brands and even lots of the same brand. Get them close within a couple of thou.and then don't worry about it as long as the bands are cutting well. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!