iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A little proof reading please...

Started by Shotgun, July 06, 2012, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Sometimes I purposefully use gonna, wanna, ain't, yup, etc.  simply because I think that it more properly describes how I am thinking.

I also know that I "prolly" use too many "".  I use them to emphasize a word or phrase instead or underlining or using caps.

But back to the OP.  I do not believe that any of this is what the OP was about.  There is no substitute for previewing and proof reading a post before posting, even if we do butcher the English and talk "locally". 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnW

Now the most interesting man in the world would say, "I don't usually proof read my posts, but when I do, I prefer to proof read after posting".

red oaks lumber

i make a living working with wood, not mastering the english langauge. :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

woodmills1

I read Craig's List every day, and have sold a lot of firewood  that way

I have seen so many off posts, like numerous trailors for sale and many wheelbarrels, but the radio alarm saw really made me chuckle

and then there was the upstate guy who was selling his logging business and felt the need to explain why.  Seems he was having an unexpected offspring with the families babysitter(my words, not his).  His sounded more like the outcome of a pugilistic confrontation.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Patty

While I understand Shotgun's intent, I think, I also enjoy our conversations here and read the threads just as they are written. It gives me a better picture in head of the person I am "talking" to. We all misspeak at times, just like we mistype. It is just a part of our personality and adds to the delight of the conversation.

Many of us have a hard time conveying the written language, letters get mixed up, words we see as correctly spelled are in fact not correct after all. It is just who we are. Yes, some posts are hard to decipher, but so what. I am hard of hearing, so sometimes I don't actually hear what folks are saying, and their meaning gets lost on me. I see written language much the same way, sometimes the meaning of the writer gets lost on me. We all have our quirks or disabilities as some might call them, but that is what makes us who we are.

Be kind and forgive each other for our inadequacies.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Al_Smith

Well conversation via type writen text differs from the spoken word.

I think many of us have regional slang we interject at times .Different figures of speech that to others are as clear of meaning as if it were Chinese .

Now I can understand that to some the very proper usage of English is a real sticking point .However it's not something to get anal retentave about .

To discount a post because it lacks proper spelling and punctuation is like throwing the baby out with the bath  water . ;)

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 08, 2012, 08:59:18 AM
............Now I can understand that to some the very proper usage of English is a real sticking point .However it's not something to get anal retentave about .

To discount a post because it lacks proper spelling and punctuation is like throwing the baby out with the bath  water . ;)

And Al, I don't think either of these points were significant to, or the intent of the OP. Was meant for discussion, which has been a good discussion IMO.
I do enjoy the "slang" and the individual traits thrown into posts, along with a lot of good humor.
They make the forum what it is.
I think it was proof reading a post the OP's point, and nothing to do with "proper" usage. If the poster intends to say it that way, great. Proof reading will not hinder that intent. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 08, 2012, 08:59:18 AM

Now I can understand that to some the very proper usage of English is a real sticking point .However it's not something to get anal retentave about .

Anal rentative?  Throw the baby out....?  All I suggested is that one reads his own post before hitting the "post button".

And even then there is always the "modify" or edit choice.

Oh, well.  But there have been some good points made.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Al_Smith

I wasn't refering neccessarily to the OP .It was meant more so in generalities than to specifics .

While on that subject is it neccessary to use bold print to make a point ?  My eye sight in addition to my hearing is excellant in spite of the fact of poor lighting and industrial noise all of my working life . ;)

Al_Smith

:D See there you go .Figures of of speech such as "anal retentive " and throwing the baby out with the bath water are just regional slang .Not to be taken literally .

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 08, 2012, 09:48:57 AM
I wasn't refering neccessarily to the OP .It was meant more so in generalities than to specifics .

While on that subject is it neccessary to use bold print to make a point ?  My eye sight in addition to my hearing is excellant in spite of the fact of poor lighting and industrial noise all of my working life . ;)

:D :D :D
I hadn't even thought of it that way. Just done to highlight the reference of my reply. Could have colored the letters, but making them bold is much simpler. Don't take it so hard. ;)  While not necessary, it is the way I do it.  :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I rarely use the preview, but I rarely get a post right the first time. For some reason I just always post, then modify. I guess I like to share my mistakes.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

I preview often and make any corrections I'm smart enough to notice.  But for some reason, I visualize the post differently once its live and I see other mistakes. Then it's back to the modify button. ::) 

A couple of words get me everytime I type them. "Together" I always spell "togetehr."  BTW, I did it again when typing that sentence. ::)

I believe I was the first to mention not reading posts without any capitalization, any puncuation, and without regard to any sentence or paragraph structure. Believe it or not, I wasn't trying to be critical of those instances.  I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what I'm trying to say much less somebody else's unguided train of thought.

Written music has given me this crutch that I cannot shake.  In music, every little dot, mark, and smudge on the page indicates to the musician exactly what to play and how to play it.  It's the only way an entire group can can be succesful performing the composers ideas. 30 years of focusing in on those tiny black dots and details has left me frustrated in other everyday activities. Some people call is obsessive compulsive disorder. I call it order. ;D

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Den Socling

I do like Jeff. I post and then proof read the post as others will see it. If there is something I don't like, I modify. That is one of the nicest features of this software.

Al_Smith

Well yeah that too .It seems what might be the way to express things at the moment of typing isn't really what should be done once you sit back and look at it .

There you go though ,bold type ,capitol letters or different colorations are just ways some do things .So is intentionally miss spelling words in some cases .Nothing to get overly excited about then spend hours of senseless diatribe hashing over minute little things that mean nothing in the overall broad scheme of things .Kind of like can't see the forest for the trees .

beenthere

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 08, 2012, 10:44:56 AM
............There you go though ,bold type ,capitol letters or different colorations are just ways some do things .So is intentionally miss spelling words in some cases .Nothing to get overly excited about then spend hours of senseless diatribe hashing over minute little things that mean nothing in the overall broad scheme of things .Kind of like can't see the forest for the trees .

Al is looking in the mirror.  ;D
south central Wisconsin

Kansas

Chris mentioned spell check. Is there something on this forum or on my computer that automatically fixes spelling? I don't know how many times I have googled a word to get the right spelling.

Cedarman

I was wondering if Meadows Miller proof reads his emoticoms and how he gets them just right. :D :D ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

TimRB

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2012, 11:03:22 PM
Sometimes I purposefully use gonna, wanna, ain't, yup, etc.  simply because I think that it more properly describes how I am thinking.

Nothing wrong with breaking the rules once in a while, just as long as you know the rules.  I think Mark Twain said "Always leave a writer's style alone, provided he is a writer and has a style."

Anyone who has read internet forums for a while has seen, and probably made, quite a few English clunkers.  These I don't mind (well, sometimes I do, but I don't say anything), but I draw the line at posts that are entirely uncapitalized.  If someone won't make an honest effort to put his thoughts down in a presentable fashion, I won't bother to read them.  If that means I don't get to see the most important post in history, so be it.

Tim

Norm

Firefox has a built in spell checker Kansas.

DouginUtah

Quote from: TimRB on July 08, 2012, 12:44:29 PM
Nothing wrong with breaking the rules once in a while, just as long as you know the rules.  I think Mark Twain said "Always leave a writer's style alone, provided he is a writer and has a style."

You guys should read something by Cormac McCarthy--talk about breaking the rules. No apostrophes, etc.

(The Road)
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

customsawyer

I've made a couple of mistakes on here. I hope you folks don't mind. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

pigman

Only a couple of mistakes. :o Now, that is bragging.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!