iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

National Christmas Tree

Started by Chuck White, December 06, 2012, 07:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Every year for the past "I don't know how many years" we have brought the National Christmas Tree, usually from the West or MidWest to Washington DC at a cost of many thousands of dollars every year.

Just wondering WHY we don't just transplant a large tree in DC instead of putting up a cut tree.

How much money would we (the country) save by doing this!

Any guesses?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Chuck, you would never ever make a politician.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bill m

Now why would anyone in government want to save the tax payers any money?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

red

NYC Rockefeller Center 80 ft Norway Spruce was Donated then gets sawed for Habitat Homes
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jeff

Ron Scott and I have both been part of the Capital Christmas Tree program may years apart, and I could not disagree more. Being involved in this project was one of the high-lights of my life. There is an amazing amount of opportunity to educate an unknowing public about Forestry and its sustainability. I'm proud to have been on the planning board, and on the educational committee specifically, for the "Tree of Hope." The first tree of this millennium that came from the Ottawa National Forest and to stand in From of our Nations capital. 

This took place when the Forum was young, and put us on the map with the Forest Service and many other agencies. It is one of the things that the Forestry Forum and its members can hang their hat on and say "We were part of that!"    Search "Tree of hope" (include the quotes} on the forum and you should find all kinds of things. This time of year I always wax nostalgic about that year. More so than any other Christmas.

Much of the project is funded by private funding and donations and countless hours of work and planning by hundreds of volunteers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

I suspect getting a good looking conifer to stay alive in an urban environment like that might cost more than simply trucking one in each year....  ???

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bill m

[quote author=Jeff link=topic=62351.msg920348#msg920348 date=135484275

Much of the project is funded by private funding and donations and countless hours of work and planning by hundreds of volunteers.
[/quote]
Thank you Jeff, I did not know this.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Magicman

Our state tree is provided by the Mississippi Forestry Ass'n.  Our MFA Executive VP is a many times customer of mine and he personally felled and hauled the tree to our state capitol today.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The year we did the Capital tree we also provided a bunch of others including the one that went to the supreme court. Member Stamp negotiated the acquisition of that tree from a DNR Field office in Sanford Michigan that had overgrown its location and was blocking a sidewalk. It was going to get cut down any That tree was so bushy it rolled rather than fell. I wrote an account of the cutting of the capital tree that was in several papers including the Michigan Tree Farm system magazine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Hmmm!    Never thought of it that way!

Good info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

There are two significant trees, one is the National Christmas Tree at the White House with the 50 plus trees around it, one for each state etc, making up the Pathway of Peace, and then there is the Captol Christmas Tree which is placed on the lawn of the Nation's Capitol. The Capitol Tree has been provided from a National Forest since 1970.

I was responsible for providing the Bicentennial Christmas Tree for the Nation's Capital in 1976 from the Gauley Ranger District of the Monongahela National Forest. This was the year of the Nation's 200th Birthday and the yeqr of the National Forest Management Act (NFMA) as a result of the clearcutting controversy on the Monongahela National Forest.

Natural trees have been tried, but have become failures for various reasons over time. There is often confusion amoung the public between the two significant trees. Their history may be of interest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tree_(United_States)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitol_Christmas_Tree
~Ron

Ron Scott

2015 Capitol Christmas Tree begins journey to D.C.

More than 30 sponsors and community members from Southcentral Alaska witnessed the cutting of the 2015 Capitol Christmas Tree, Oct. 27. At the cutting ceremony, Regional Forester Beth Pendleton expressed how proud she is of Chugach National Forest employees for providing the tree this year, and a Kenaitze tribal elder gave a blessing as a bald eagle spontaneously spiraled overhead. The tree, a74-foot Lutz spruce, will start its journey by ship from Anchorage to Tacoma, Washington, Nov. 2, it will then travel by truck from Washington State to Washington, D.C., with nine stops along the way.

The Chief's Notes

~Ron

Chuck White

Good to hear, gets a lot of publicity from all directions!

I've been in the Chugach National Forest, huge!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/chugach

Magicman

Pat and I are planning to go back to the Chugach next year.   move_it   8)

Rocky_Ranger

The National Christmas tree in 2009 was from Arizona and the Apache-Sitgreaves NF.  In 2011, the Wallow fire torched that entire area from where the tree was cut and the stump was charred from the fire.  Made it by about 18 months.......
RETIRED!

samandothers

MM you are the traveling man. I recon that makes Pat the traveling WOman!

AK Newbie

So yesterday I had an awesome opportunity to see the National Christmas tree which was recently harvested from Seward, Alaska!  The tree was on display at our new Cabelas here in Anchorage.  I met the crew who will be traveling with the tree all the way to Washington DC!  It leaves on a boat Monday morning.  Then on to Seattle where it will be driven cross country.  I met the driver and he shared a picture of the special tractor they will pick up in Seattle.  He was a very nice gent!  Check out the pics!  I even got to write a message on the side of the shipping container, so look for it if the tree visits your neck of the woods on its way back east!

LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Kbeitz

I'm proud to say that the Christmas tree sometime in the seventys for the White House came from my farm that was then my Dads farm. We had a 100 acre Christmas tree farm. It was a colorado blue spruce. We no longer farm Christmas trees.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

red

It's that time of year. NYC just received a Spruce Tree from Penn State College . It arrived at Rockerfeller Center yesterday .

red

red

www.capitolchristmastree.com the tree started its road trip in Montana yesterday

red

NYC Rockefeller Center tree just cut in Wallkill NY . It will be in NYC on Saturday then lit up on Nov 28 . It's that time of year.

Ron Scott

Press Release: 2021 US Capitol Christmas Tree Virtually Selected — The People's Tree Will Be harvested from the Mad River Ranger District
U.S. Department of Agriculture, July 21, 2021
After a multi-month search covering hundreds of square acres and thousands of feet in elevation, the 2021 U.S. Capitol Christmas Tree from the Six Rivers National Forest has been selected — "Sugar Bear." Six candidate trees were identified and presented virtually to Architect of the Capitol staff, with each tree receiving unique nicknames connected to the state animal of California, the bear. Taking top honors, "Sugar Bear," an 84-foot white fir located within the Mad River Ranger District, will grace the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol this holiday season.
The E-Forester
~Ron

Ron Scott

Monongahela National Forest to provide 2023 Capitol Christmas tree
West Virginia Explorer, Jan. 31, 2023
The Monongahela National Forest has been selected to provide the 2023 Christmas Tree for the U.S. capitol, kicking off a year-long celebration with the theme of "Endlessly Wild & Wonderful" to connect more Americans to West Virginia's public lands.
The E-Forester
~Ron

DonW

How come you've missed 2022's tree which came from here

Just out my back window up on Grand Mesa?
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Thank You Sponsors!