iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What happens at the TK, WM, and other manufacturers shows?

Started by opticsguy, February 17, 2013, 11:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Interested in what happens at these product shows put on in a variety of locations across the country with various manufacturers? Are these demos only?  Hands on experiences? 
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer does the most shows around the country.  I think Baker has cut back on their show schedual.  TimberKing does very few.  Some TimberKing mill owners may set up at a local show but not usual a factory sponsored show.

What happens?  Kind of depends on the show.  If at a large forestry show or state fair or something.  The companies will set up many of their mills and saw on schedule and talk to people in-between.  You'll likely be allowed a closer look once the sawing has stopped.

At Wood-Mizer open houses that are held at every branch office at least once a year and at Indy a couple times a year,  the mills and other equipment will be operated and you're free to walk around and look.  You may get a chance to saw a board or two on one of the manual mills.  Sawing on one of the larger mills would be a bit to expect unless you've signed on the dotted line.

In the outdoor section there is a subsection called "Shows and places to meet".  A lot of info and some pictures on shows in the past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM9KIr9mGEM&feature=share&list=UUYS6yqs2BkOrOeN_7ZRQ8rQ

Here is some video I shot at the Ozark Farmfest in Springfield,  Mo in October of 2011.  Not all of it is about sawmills but it'll give you an idea.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

hackberry jake

I was at that show bibby! I went to pick up another track extension from ez boardwalk. Woodmizer and ez boardwalk were the only two sawmill producers I saw there. I was running behind so I didn't get to stay long, but I could've watched them boys make boards all day long.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Magicman

The WM location in Mississippi host at least one open house each year.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rooster 58

dboyt

Norwood has their open house in Buffalo, NY, and they demonstrate the machines and let people try them out, if they want to.  Also hamburgers, hot dots, and the best potato salad anywhere.

The biggest gathering of portable sawmills (both band mills and swing blade mills) is the Great Portable Sawmill Shoot-Out held at the Ohio Paul Bunyan Show in October on odd years (ok, so when you're running a sawmill, every year is pretty odd, but I mean years like 2013).  This year, it is Oct 4-6.  Besides the event, manufacturers have booths set up for their own demonstrations.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Leigh Family Farm

I went to the WM PA Open House this past fall. Marty and his family put on a really good spread. He and Barry (WM NY) showed all the different models and let people try them out. I had never used a mill before or even been around one, and Barry walked me through an LT40HD Super. He showed me how to operate the Accuset 2, line up the log, and yes, cut the walnut log on the mill. ONe the best days ever!

If you can make any open house by any manufacturer, I say go. You meet some great people, look at some cool toys, and if you're lucky, you win a coffee mug while eating lunch!  8)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Will_Johnson

Hey Optics Guy:

We do an open house at each of our dealers once and sometimes twice a year.

Typically we have most of our models available to look at and try out. In addition you can get to know the dealer you'll be working with as well as someone from the factory. So you can get a real sense of how the equipment's made and what the folks are like you'll be working with. In addition we almost always have current owners come which completes the picture.

I'm afraid I've never been invited to a Wood-mizer open house but I imagine it's much the same thing!

:)

We had an open house just a couple of weeks ago in Phoenix and have events planned this year for New York, Ohio, Ontario, Oregon and have a few more in the works. (Some at dealers and some at owners yards.)

Keep in mind too that with most companies -- and for sure with TK & Woodmizer -- you should also be able to get the name of a nearby owner to let you have a look at a mill. So this is another way to get hands-on with the machine you're interested in.

If you have other questions about TK mills or open houses specifically please don't hesitate to contact me personally at 800-942-4406 or wjohnson@timberking.com!

Best,

Will

opticsguy

Thanks for the responses here. 

I am up in the Seattle area and already own a mill, (TK) and am interested in the show in Oregon later this year, or others closer to my area.  Just wanting to meet a lot of sawyers and learn more about "how to do" things, maintenance, adjustments, cutting techniques and all that little stuff you never see in a manual.   

I have had one invitation to visit someone with a mill about 2 hours from my home, but as we all seem to find, how to fit into our schedules.

TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Bibbyman

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,4229.0.html

Here is a link to a post in "Shows,Events and places to meet that has links on it to some of the show events lists web pages of the Forum sponsor's web sites.  It's not complete but it's a start.   Most sponsors have a show schedule web page.

There is a Wood-Mizer field office in Portland,Or.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I have been to a few of WM and a few of Thomas. It's always a great time. It's good to hear the questions asked by others. There is a logging expo coming to NY and one on Bangor Maine in May.I always enjoy these because there are usually 4-5 different brands of mills there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!