iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birdsmouth seat size

Started by canopy, April 01, 2013, 09:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

canopy

I like the look of housed joints much more than flush joints. So instead of laying birdsmouth rafters on the beam outer corner I would like to add housings. However, this reduces the seat to just 2" in depth while remaining 6" wide which is the rafter width. Are there any rules on seat sizing and is this seat too small?

Jim_Rogers

That is a question for your engineer. I don't remember your roof load, that's why I can't say if it's ok or not.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

giant splinter

The basic idea with this type of connection is to achieve full bearing at the horizontal point of contact or the "seat cut" to support the roof loads while maintaining enough of a grip at the "plumb cut" without destroying the possibility that the rafter tail must be able to withstand its share of weight and loading. What you are proposing should work if you stay within the basic design criteria, however it seems like a lot of extra work to consider doing when you take into account that your rafter connection will be difficult at best to see in view of the fact that unless its an exposed joint you will probably have frieze blocking and some kind of exterior siding covering the joint from view.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!