What is this?

Started by ET, May 17, 2013, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

I'm not sure what this part is used for.  There was no mention of it in my operating manual from Lucas or Baileys.  I tried to adjust it but it kept interfering with sawing.  It's been off now for 6 months but found it again and thought I should ask.  Maybe it's a safety thing or other.  I've seen many Lucas saws on videos and they all have this part missing.  If anyone knows the relevance of it, I would really like to know.  Thanks in advance.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

ET

I'm curious as to why I've had no response to my post "What is this"; I thought maybe I should include that the part is from my 10-30 Lucas.  I have it listed on my signature line but maybe it was not seen.  Hope this helps in getting a response.  Thanks again!

Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

beenthere

I'll respond.

I haven't a clue. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Perhaps add the words lucus part to the title of your first post.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Migal

:) It appears to be a blade guard IMHO  8)
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

dgdrls

ET,

I looked on my 8/27,  I didn't see that shield right off,  looked under didn't see it there.

Reach out to Lucas in Australia and see what they report,  I'm interested in knowing
what it is and if I too should have one,

Best
DGD

ET

My bad; I just thought that this Lucas venue would certainly bring an answer from Lucas themselves (moderator) or another Lucas user. I guess is no big deal and won't mention it again.

Jeff

That is kind of a crappy attitude to take isn't it because you didn't get instant attention?  Many of the sponsors of this site are busy every day. Some have time to actively come and view the website every day, but most do not. There is also upwards of 500 posts a day on the forum. No one has time to read all of them, including me so it may take time for someone with an answer to even know there is a question. I'll make it my personal priority today to try and get you an answer.

muskoka guy

No expert here but just a thought. It wouldnt be a bracket for a debarker by chance.

dudley j

That is a saw guard for a model 10 30 the deflects the saw dust down to the ground or if a tooth come's of the blade it will hit the guards first and not the operater or helper.
The guard goe's on the green engine frame in your second photo.
Put the blade in the horizontal position the bottom of the guard should line up with the centreline of the saw blade like the diagram on page 10 of your manual both sides need to be done.
Dudley from Lucasmill

Jeff

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ET

Thanks Dudley and Jeff. I have only blown the teeth off of one blade so far and I'm not sure if that guard was on at the time or not. I'll  be checking my manual when I get back from Houston to see the specifics of adjusting. It seemed to always get caught on the log surface during The return of the head.

Ps. We got the VIP tour yesterday at Mission Control for the International Space Station. I have lots of cool pics to post when I return.