iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

300 free logs

Started by Bigbo1234, August 20, 2013, 04:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbo1234

A lady has 300 free red pine logs cut to 8' stacked, down less than a year. There mine if I want them. 6-10" diameter. Some 12" and bigger. Any reason I should not get them. All I have to do is haul them. Less than 20 miles from my place. I can use plenty of lumber right now. Just curious what you seasoned folk think?
Bowen

m wood

are red pine the same as scotch pine...I've been told so.  My scotch pine are pretty crooked but if they're cut to 8' and stacked I suppose you may get some lumber there.  I dont know how they would fare being down for a year, but others who know better than I will surely chime in.  Oh yeah...and welcome a-BOARD
wish you the best, mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

DRB

Well they will be stained for sure since it is pine that has been down more then a week, and they are kind of small. But if you have a use for stained pine lumber go for it.  Smaller logs make for more work to get lumber and normally of lower quality,  but I would do it if it was me. Hard to turn down. I

DRB

Quote from: m wood on August 20, 2013, 05:05:01 PM
are red pine the same as scotch pine...I've been told so.  My scotch pine are pretty crooked but if they're cut to 8' and stacked I suppose you may get some lumber there.  I dont know how they would fare being down for a year, but others who know better than I will surely chime in.  Oh yeah...and welcome a-BOARD
wish you the best, mark

Red pine is the common name of Norway pine and is native, Scotch pine is not native from Europe. red pine has better form but rarely gets over about 30 inches in dia. Current MN state record is like 37" in dia and only lives about 100 to 150 years.  It tends to be lower quality then White pine but is good building material just normally knotty.  It has a redish colored wood and bark. My brother has about 40acres of it in Northern MN up to about 2 foot in dia with a few white pines mixed in. It is about 100 years old and the tops are starting to die in some of them. Compared to Doug fir around here it is a scrawny little tree but for MN it is pretty nice stuff.

Peter Drouin

all pine pulp, to small a log, but they're all free. If it where me I would pass on them
but if you go get them good luck :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

loggah

I would say you might be wasting your time sawing boards from that small a log!! but if you need a bunch of 4x4's ans 6x6  posts have at it. ;D if there cut exactly 8' long there will be no trim for 8" boards. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

samandothers

Welcome to the forum Bigbo!

Kingcha

I have been cutting mainly smaller red pines.   Most of mine are fairly straight.   Mine have made some nice wood.   The smaller one I cut into 4x4's and 4x6's  just to much work otherwise for the under 8" ones.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Chuck White

Quote from: m wood on August 20, 2013, 05:05:01 PM
wish you the best, mark

Red Pine and Scotch Pine are definately two different species!

Free logs, close to home might be worth picking up just to get a little practice while gaining a little lumber at the same time.

A lot depends on whether or not they are infested with Pine Beetles, and there will most likely be some stain through the wood.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bigbo1234

I just passed on them. Too small, and not 300.
Bowen

Chuck White

Bigbo, you could always make small cants out of them, say 4, 6 & 8 inch!

Then later you could saw lumber out of them.

Just sayin' !
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moosehunter

I was told by an older tree man that red pine cut less than 8x8 will twist as it dries. So being the skeptical type I cut 6x6s and built my garage out of them. They twisted :-[
If you cut 1x or 2x and sticker them you should probably park a truck on top of the pile to keep them from twisting! On my garage I put up green 2x4s for perlins and screwed them in with 3.5 inch deck screws - they did not twist.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

thecfarm

I sawed some of mine cedar for the wife building. Had a bunch of pieces,note not logs,  :D left over. I need some 1X1 for tomato cages. Some was only 6 inches on the big end and 3-4-5-6 feet long. Not a lot of 1x1 from each piece,but when I had about 20-30 pieces,it does add up. But seemed odd to load and turn by hand.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!