iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 20 - Is it best to saw E.Grandis Green or Dry?

Started by cflowers, December 31, 2013, 12:02:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cflowers

Grateful for some help on whether its best to saw E. Grandis green or shoudl I leave it to dry first?  I'm a real beginner at this so appologies if the question is a daft one but the LT20 is just about to arrive on site.  Many thanks.

VictorH

Can't help you on your question but welcome to the Forum!!

LeeB

As a general rule, it is best to saw most woods while green. They tend to get hard once dry.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

longtime lurker

Ideally -for anything with an E. in front of it - you want to apply end seal inside 4  hours of felling and saw it as soon as you can.  It is inclined to end split so dont be shy with that sealer.
Having said that rose gum is pretty forgiving, not too hard on the saws though with a little band mill I'd be looking at trying to get it stacked and stickered before the leaves turned brown - no good making a hard job harder. "Soft" for a eucalypt can be misleading. ;D

Like all eucalypts it will be inclined to pull to the sap hard if you allow it to dry, and expect to see a fair bit of log movement in smaller logs even wringing wet.
Shrinkage rates are around 4% radial and 7% tangental.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

thecfarm

cflowers,welcome to the forum. Where are you located? Not much of that wood in Maine.  :D And welcome to the world of sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JustinW_NZ

Pretty much as said, get into it green.

Also welcome to the forum.

Oh and most euc's benifit from quarter sawing  the stress out of them and if small will most likely need straigtening cuts.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Thank You Sponsors!