iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing my first oak, Lucas 6-18

Started by JAG, February 15, 2014, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAG

Hey everyone, i'm new to these forums but i read a lot of post here before i started a large slabbing job at work. A 250 year old ( Guessing ) Valley Oak had falling at a college near by from high wind and what i guess to be a form of root rot, it was about 17'  long and 52" wide. I have fallen into the sawmill operator job at the forest i work at and have been loving it. So once they said what they wanted to do with the oak i was looking forward to making it happen. They wanted to make a table and benches to remember the oak in a way. The only problem that happened was that the heart of the tree was rotten and i had to dig out the dirt like rot that filled the center, while doing this i found a large rock that had grown into the tree and most had been about ten feet up when it was standing. I hope you all enjoy. Also Thanks, i got a lot out of reading your post. I cant figure out how to make the Pics load but there in my gallery under oak. Let me know if there is a way to add them to the post
Lucas 6-18, MS046, MS660, MS390,

thecfarm

Jag,welcome to the forum.
If the pictures are in your gallery,this should do it for posting,

I like to go to whatever post or start a new topic first to include a picture.Go to your gallery,it will open in a new window.Click onto your album,then click onto whatever picture you want,it will get bigger,than scroll down a little to find,Insert Image In Post,click onto that,click Yes and that is it. Some have to copy/paste the link to work.I like to hit the enter key at least once or twice to move the picture down away from what I am typing. The enter key really helps to leave some white space if posting more than one picture. Somewheres I think it says to add 10,000 to your user number or something like that to make a clickable icon to your gallery under your user name. Use the preview button to see how it looks and modify it if needed.
With a rock 10 feet high in a tree,someone must of put it there. I am glad you found it without the help of your blade.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

JAG
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Nice project and nice saw rig you have there. Lucas Mill is good to have.

Your rock was dropped in a hole, rather than picked up by the tree if it was 10' up.

Follow thecfarm's tutor on posting your pics from your gallery. The hard part, if there is such a thing, is done.  8)

Look forward to hearing more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Welcome Jag!  That looks like pretty good work you were doing with that log.  And yeah, the rock was placed where you found it.  Looks like there was a bit of metal in that tree too.
     When you get a chance fill out your profile so us nosy folks can know a bit more about you.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Gasawyer

Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JAG

Thanks for the help. I have them in a folder in gallery named oak. Ya I was guessing that at some point the rock might have been maybe set on top or stuck I a hole. still first time I have actually seen it. Thanks for the help on  the pictures. I think I got it now.

Ianab

Many years ago there was a couple of kids walking past...

"Bet ya can't throw a rock into that hole up there"

"Can too, watch this"

:D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

JAG, welcome to FF.  Those Lucas mill's are great machines.  :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sigidi

Welcome JAG, good to see another Lucas owner in here  ;D

In your second photo, you will learn to loathe those little 'black' stains that show their ugly faces while you are milling - the one about 6-8 inches away from the knot in your log. If you haven't worked it out yet that's what happens in logs when there is metal in the log.

I came across 4 different nails during today's cutting then decided to cut the end off the log and lose 18" of log rather than lose more blades - DanG black stain...
Always willing to help - Allan

scsmith42

Quote from: Ianab on February 16, 2014, 06:51:57 PM
Many years ago there was a couple of kids walking past...

"Bet ya can't throw a rock into that hole up there"

"Can too, watch this"

:D  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JAG

that is a great eye sigidi, that was the only small nail that i hit in the tree. i had marked two big eye hooks and removed them before i started and on every pass i would go over it with a metal detector. that was the one that snuck by me. i changed the chain after that pass and noticed that one tooth was done. the nail was a little thankfully

sigidi

Quote from: JAG on February 17, 2014, 09:15:28 PM
that is a great eye sigidi... 

;) Cheers, I've developed it over many jobs similar to this one https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73009.0.html You will get used to it - unfortunately

Seaman

Great job Jag, and welcome to the FF.
Left Coast Supply can send you the tooth and links to repair that chain.Have the tooth replaced, then file it down to match the others.
When I detect metal but cannot see it, I cut up to that point with the Lucas, back out, and slide in the chainsaw with an old chain to cut past the metal.

Oh yea, if you ever see Sidgi and I give two different answers to the same question....Go with SIDIGI ! ;)
Best, Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

sigidi

and if Frank ever tells you to listen to me instead of him - don't  ;D :D ;)

Thanks for the compliment Frank, but I don't know everything mate, we all go along finding our own way and all have different experience that comes from doing that - that's why this place is so great!!

Jag, check out this thread it may help at some point in time https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60602.0.html

Thank You Sponsors!