iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old log cabin

Started by whamo1958, March 11, 2014, 07:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whamo1958

i have recently purchased a 1800's dog trot log cabin. I am in the process of tearing rooms off that are not log. I am going to move it onto my property. I was wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to tag the logs,rafters,flooring,etc. Also maybe some good websites or other places that might help me with this project. thanks alot

m wood

welcome whamo1958.  Are you talking about tagging the stuff for disassembling and then reassemble?  Sounds like an interesting project.  Got any photos?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, whamo1958.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

whamo1958

Yes that is what i am going to do and i have pictures just have not figured all this blog stuff out lol

gspren

Around here the Amish routinely tear down old post and beam barns and then reassemble elsewhere. I've seen chalk marks but don't know the "rules", any Amish near you? 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Whamo, welcome!  A lot of great guys on this board!

As far as labeling ideas I have seen chalk done but I think that has too much potential to rub or wash off depending on how long it takes to get moved and put back together.  What about stapling numbered weather resistant fabric to 3 sides of the log?
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Magicman

Quote from: whamo1958 on March 11, 2014, 11:52:34 PM
Yes that is what i am going to do and i have pictures just have not figured all this blog stuff out lol
Scroll down to the "Behind the Forum" board.  On top are a couple of tutorials that will help with your picture posting.  If you have questions, then just ask.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

The first thing you need to do is create a drawing of each log wall. And number the logs on the drawing. Then create metal tags with stamped numbers on them that will be attached to one spot on each log.

We have used round metal tags and a set of dies that stamp numbers into the metal to match the drawings.

In this picture the timber framer is stamping the numbers onto the tags with the dies. And you can see the drawing beside the plank.

In the last picture you can see the tags on the building. You'd do the same thing even with logs.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

whamo1958

some pictures of my cabin project

whamo1958

whamo1958

log cabin

isawlogs

Jim has a good way of doing it, we also use a letter and number, as in N S E W with double letters following the number if a wall log has a door in it. ex:  log on a north wall first round would be tagged  N1A  the log across the door N1AA  and so on.
  We use a non erasable marker on rubber or plastic 2 inche squares and rooffing nails to tack on the end of logs.
  Removal of tags is only done after the building is up.
You can print your pics and number your logs and peices on the pic, you will have a good visual of what and how things where so the putting it back together would be that much easier .
   Nice job taking care of the cabin.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

m wood

Yes indeed whamo1958, those are some nice timbers there.  You sure do have your work cut out for you
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

whamo1958

more pics

whamo1958

Thanks guys for the comments. Maybe I can figure out the tagging now. I was wondering if anyone has ever run across a website, book, blog , or anything that might help with start to finish of a project like mine just to sorta guide me thru the process so maybe I won't miss anything lol this is gonna  be all new to me . Thanks again.

sandhills

I think you found it  ;).  Jim Rogers and member Rooster (to name a few) will be of great help in that department, don't worry I've already tested all these folks on the stupid questions clause and they still put up with me  :D.  I'm anxious to see how it turns out for you, best of luck and keep us updated!

yukon cornelius

there is a party favor website called oriental trading that sells cheap metal dog tags for $6 a dozen. I have always thought I would use them for a project like that that had a lot of parts to mark.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

whamo1958

Gonna use 2"by 2" sheet metal and metal stamps to mark logs

Freedom6178

I helped move a simple 4 wall old farmhouse from a small town near me to door county WI. We did the drawing and numbered the logs. We then disassembled and placed the logs into an open top semi trailer with a sky trac and a sling in the center of the Logs. They had a foundation all ready for us. We then just re-stacked the logs in order. Was a really fun job. Hope it goes well for you..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

scouter Joe

I use old plastic cardboard signs when I can find them or buy a sheet of coraplast . Cut these into little squares big enough for whatever you want to write on them and nail with roofing nails or use deck screws and small washers to the ends of the logs . Start at one corner A #1 for the bottom log and on up for the number of coarses . First opening would be A-i # whatever row you are on then A2 for next opening and so forth . I use permanent magic marker after all the tags have been put on . scouter Joe

Stephen1

When I moved my cabin, I used round metal slugs, stamped with n,e,w,s. And then a number accordingly from the bottom up. I used the letters to correspond the direction the cabin would sit at the new site.
I have used permanent markers, and found Mother Nature has made it not so permanent.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Alcranb

How about those thin round metal disc used to hold felt paper down? Thin, easy to secure, staple or roofing nail, easy to write on with a scribe or nail or stamp and virtually weather proof.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

js2743

Take lots of pic's of every section and draw every section out on paper and make sure your drawings match every tag you have, and tag every thing before you remove the first piece.

drobertson

Never done anything like this either, but the tags, photos, and sketches make about the only sense to me. 
Looking forward to the progress,  hope all goes well, and sure it will.   It does look like a lot of work, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!