iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Big Project,

Started by 123maxbars, March 18, 2014, 08:46:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Hello friends, after a few months of research, small projects and acquiring all the correct tools, some from Jim Rogers (which are excellent!) I am starting two of my first what I would call timber frame structures. Up until now I have assisted others with builds and do small projects on my homestead.  The two projects are a 14x35 barn and a 22x24 carport. They will be constructed of white oak and poplar.  All timbers will be milled on my LT35.  I have most of my ducks in a roll.  The one question I have is finish. I would like to place some kind of oil mixture to preserve the look of the wood.  I haven't had alot of luck so far just on the web researching this topic. Most of the farmers around here just let it weather. I did find one article that suggested mixing 50/50 of linseed oil and a spar varnish mixture. Just wondering what you guys are using on your exposed timber frame structures. The barn beams as well as the carport will all be exposed to the elements with no sheathing etc. More questions to come as this project approaches it's start date. I am going to document it on a thread here in addition to using my go pro camera.  Thanks for any advice in advance. And sorry for spelling,

Cheers

Maxbars
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

MattJ

From my experience I really like cabots product like the Australian timber oil. It lasts outdoors a long time. I like linseed but don't like the fire risk it poses during drying on rags and other saturated surfaces. I did a few timber frame projects (small ones) for a neighbor and with the cabots they look the same years later. Also don't use thompsons it's worthless.

Thank You Sponsors!