iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

- bid rigging & a grimy forester -

Started by BargeMonkey, August 06, 2014, 09:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Well I got 99% of the comformation I needed to prove we have a shady forester in town. This is the 2nd time my paperwork and bid sheet has mysteriously disappeared and Im going to lose a sale in my backyard. Who would I have to talk to in NY, to have another logger and forester thrown under a moving bus if I can prove it ? This time its just down right grimy. Im some P!$$ ED off. Wondering if you guys have ever had to go down this road. This isnt an uncommon thing around here, and now its personal.  :snowball:

treeslayer2003

yup, been the high bidder but another logger got to bid again  >:(

also seen paper work that was a lie........in other words, the buffer was no cut but all trees in buffer were on the cruise...........

i got so i only trust the county guys..............crooks really stink up the place.

seems like the bad apples get away with it for some reason, other foresters should be mad as heck over it.

BargeMonkey

The 1st time my bid, and paperwork sat @ the post office while hurricane Irene destroyed the entire area. We called the forester and said "hey, can you wait till all the bids are in and the mail is delivered". Nope. We where high bidder, about 4k over the other guy. Landowner didnt find out about that till the other guy had started. That landowner has now contacted our forester because of the horrible job that was done. I try to be a pretty decent guy, and have lots of work, but all of a sudden bid sheets dont get mailed out, lots of games. Im doing the 1 lot I have pending with this guy then a war is going to start.

BEEMERS

I recall a flag from the revolutionary war.over in your states..a rattlesnake and the words.."Don't tread on me"

Woodboogah

That is no good.  We have a couple slimy foresters down here.  There name has got so bad that no local logger will even bid on their lots.  They bring in guys from out of state.  I try not to deal with any foresters any more.  Hope it works out for you. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

WDH

In Georgia, professional foresters are registered and licensed by the State.  There is a process for filing a complaint if a forester is not operating up to the standards required by the license.  There is a review board, and if the forester is found to be in violation of the standards, their license will be revoked and they will not be allowed to practice forestry in the State.

I suspect that NY has a similar set up.  Get in touch with the NY Department of State and ask for an investigation of this forester's practices.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jwilly3879

There was a forester around here whose bids were always won by the same mill. One landowner had an issue with the volume cut (had someone counting loads) and found a huge overrun, 100%+. Some forensic forestry work on other lots sold by this forester found the same trend. Same mill. large overruns ??? Shady or not??

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

BargeMonkey

Quote from: beenthere on August 07, 2014, 10:18:56 AM
For New York, try

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5230.html
Thanks, yeah I knew there had to be something state wise that handled it. Im going to gather a little more information, see how the cards fall. I got a bullet in my cable skidder about 12yrs ago, my buddies got 3 to the engine 2yrs ago, people dont take things lightly down here, make sure my insurance is paid in full for the year before I open this can of worms.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dave Shepard

Get some game cams and make some signs that say "If you've made it this far, your photo has already been uploaded to the internet three times."  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terry f

Raider Bill, everywhere is South of somewhere.

Raider Bill

That's true ;) I have relatives that live in Northern NY to me that's pretty far up there! Heck they even talk funny :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Ron Wenrich

We've had a consultants that fed mills, then told the landowner that they were the high bidder.  Another mill blew the whistle.  Nothing happened, as most landowners think their forester is honest. 

We don't have licensing in PA.  We tried to get it in a number of years ago, but the state said there wasn't enough complaints to warrant licensing.  We also have guys that skirt around the forester title by being timber agents.  I don't know how that would fly in a state with licensing.  Do any of the states with licensing actually check anybody's work?

If you got the goods on him, take it to the landowner.  He may be in violation of his contract, and he could go to court and get punitive damages.  I doubt there is much you can do from a legal standpoint.  You can make others aware of his business practices, but you have to make sure you're not being slanderous.  It's not slander if it's true. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!