iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand Forged Tools

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, November 01, 2014, 09:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is not a woodworking topic but metal working.

Been watching the auction and admiring the hand made grilling tools.
Any of Y'all hand make any fireplace tools?

Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thurlow

Don't remember any fireplace tools (crs syndrome), but I've made carpenter's slicks (out of leaf springs), chisels (out of old crowbars), knives (out of old files and saw blades), etc.  No pictures on this computer.........
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Magicman

Since you were the one that stole his Purple Drank, why don't you contact member "Gadrock".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 01, 2014, 10:21:46 PM
Since you were the one that stole his Purple Drank, why don't you contact member "Gadrock".

Stole a chair too.  :D You pointed that out to me....remember?  :D :D :D :D

JB Griffin

Not in a while and have no pics but have made a few pokers before.
Mostly knives from files, sawblades, coil springs, leaf springs, hay rake teeth, and boughten steel. Even made some damascus from pallet bands and you guess it, bandsaw blades. ;D
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Just thought it would be neat to have a set of handmade fireplace tools....poker, shovel, brush, tongs.

JB Griffin

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

POSTON WIDEHEAD

hacknchop

I've made pokers out of 1/2" rod easy enough and old fellaw I worked showed me how to make nice scapers out wore out files,they hold an edge and and you can get good leverage, also used them for peeling eastern white cedar.
Often wrong never indoubt

loggah

I have a friend of mine who is a real artist with his forge,he made me a knife out of a chain saw chain. He left the end of the handle rusted chain then you can see where he forged part of the handle and then the blade has a damascus steel pattern.I think chain saw chain must be some of the toughest steel to work.Maybe i can bribe my wife to take a picture! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

JB Griffin

Loggah chainsaw chain is very difficult to weld and get good welds, I read up on it a few years ago and you really need old chain that ain't chrome plated or grind the chrome off as it prevents the weld from sticking, that is unless someome has come up with a new way to do it.
When done well(no flaws or cold shuts) it is beautiful.

And please bribe your wife into taking some pictures ;D

Hilltop366

i did make a fireplace set when I was in grade 8 metal shop complete with threaded metal turned handles and stand.

I have also made log dogs for a friend with forged ends, I don't have a forge so I used an acetylene torch.

loggah

Heres a couple pictures of the knife Steve made out of a chainsaw chain. I could probably shave with it if i felt like it!!!! ;D Don

Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

drobertson

Heat does wonders with metal, if one knows how,  that is an incredible work of art with a chain saw chain, never seen anything like it,  very Nice work!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Loggah
Very interesting, and very clever photography. You have a resident expert photographer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Delawhere Jack

Peter Drouin

Quote from: loggah on November 19, 2014, 06:25:35 PM
Heres a couple pictures of the knife Steve made out of a chainsaw chain. I could probably shave with it if i felt like it!!!! ;D Don

I have a friend in tree work, and he had some guy working for him
do that for him. I'll see if I can get a pic of it
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Stunning as well as very innovative.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

very, very cool, Loggah, somthin to proud of for sure.

thecfarm

A very mighty fine looking knife. Nice back drop too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

loggah

One of my wifes hobbies is photography,but it generally isn't taking pictures of my hobby stuff !!!! ;D she is on a forum that has rusty items in photographs,this one fit both subjects! Don

shinnlinger

I made this axearoon the other day.  Works pretty good even if it isn't pretty...

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!