iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

Cutting like that is a new one to me. Good deal though. 

mike_belben

trees came down, powerline stayed up and i got paid for that job and the next one in advance so i guess it worked well enough.  theres no wrong way to cut firewood.  if there is @Skeans1  will let me know, dont worry.  ;)   ;D
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Hickory! That's something I don't get into often. About a dozen good ones here. Happy cuttin😁

nativewolf

That is nice!   Premium buyers like the large heartwood.
Liking Walnut

Firewoodjoe

I was told put it in the matt log pile. Not worth any more for grade I guess. There wood not mine🤷🏼‍♂️

Skeans1

This is one of our main "hardwoods" I put it in quotes because it's so soft compared to Doug Fir. 

Then a little bit of history of where we were this weekend. He might know the area roughly.
 @Southside 

BargeMonkey

The things you find in the woods... 🤷‍♂️... 

Couple hundred of them. All getting cleaned up in the next few weeks, feed a portable car crusher with 2x grapple skidders. 

grab 5-6 and go. 

got a piece of chain coming to get me back going till the new box shows up, ive only got 4-5 days left here. 

Old Greenhorn

AW man! seems like that crawler should be something worth saving, even as a lawn ornament. What a shame, there is some nice stuff there.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

BargeMonkey

Tom when you see the wood im going to cut here.... just not even funny... 😆 im not crushing anything thats good, the crawlers are all being saved. 

Friend of mine from up north just sent me that picture, I can go back to work 😆 cost me a bottle of jack for his mechanic buddy and a bottle of gin for him to drop it off on his way by, I dont care. Just ordered new Tsbaki chain, want to be sitting down. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Riwaka

The Barge operation looks like it is ready for the Hood 24K and a track machine road builder (Forestry cert mid height cab - lockable quick hitch that can go between a log grapple and bucket) Assist the Hood to Sort and load no-crane trucks. Bucket/ thumb to use the machine in a the gravel pit or temporary bridge installs. etc.

Southside

@Skeans1 You had to be lost to end up there!!  All the small trees must have made navigation impossible for you.  Nothing on the ground to trip you up, no moss to follow, surprised you didn't dehydrate from the lack of humidity!!!  

So what were you doing in north Lake County? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Walnut Beast

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 17, 2021, 08:22:39 PM
The things you find in the woods... 🤷‍♂️...

Couple hundred of them. All getting cleaned up in the next few weeks, feed a portable car crusher with 2x grapple skidders.

grab 5-6 and go.

got a piece of chain coming to get me back going till the new box shows up, ive only got 4-5 days left here.
Better make sure you won't be crushing anything you will be crying about later

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BargeMonkey on May 17, 2021, 09:22:25 PM
Tom when you see the wood im going to cut here.... just not even funny... 😆 im not crushing anything thats good, the crawlers are all being saved.
Can't wait. I am glad those crawlers will be finding a home. I know a place where they would sit in good company. ;D ;D Any idea what make they are?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

olcowhand

Quote from: mike_belben on May 17, 2021, 09:45:14 PM
Isnt that a 56 chevy in the last pic?  
....Looks like it could be....
It was a new '56 Chevy in which I went to party with my Dad, but came home with my Mom (at least that's what I was told).
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Skeans1

Quote from: Southside on May 17, 2021, 11:26:47 PM
@Skeans1 You had to be lost to end up there!!  All the small trees must have made navigation impossible for you.  Nothing on the ground to trip you up, no moss to follow, surprised you didn't dehydrate from the lack of humidity!!!  

So what were you doing in north Lake County?
We were riding on the way back from the nearest restaurant/bar about 90 miles round trip on trails to camp at Pine mountain.
Got to love GPS when being over there it's amazing how even an hour or two or drive time in this state makes a difference. It also makes a huge difference in the people as well I've always fit in better over there better then Havana on the Willamette.

so il logger

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on May 17, 2021, 02:27:39 PM
Hickory! That's something I don't get into often. About a dozen good ones here. Happy cuttin😁

Oops?

so il logger

This one slope is riddled with this. 90% of the bigger timber has these rot seams and all are on the west side or uphill side of the trees. Fire damage?

No 56 Chevy but I happened across this bultaco engine yesterday

mike_belben

Hard to say from just that one pic but i say stump sprouts that got big enough to graft into a single tree.  People will say no but i will upload pics of a few disections by tonight.  Maybe that slope was harvested at the same time, idk. 

DONT TRUST IT!
Praise The Lord

Otis1

I could maybe see multiple stems, hard to see what's going on above the picture - looks like there might be another seam there, and maybe a lower one fell off.  

If 90% of the trees have the same type of damage and on the same side, I would tend to think of some sort of physical caused defect. Whether natural like fire/ storm or poor skidding in the past. White Oak?

I've seen a red pine plantation that looked similar about 15 years after a fire. All the visible damage is on one side with the center slowly starting to rot out. I would think if that was fire damage, it was a long time ago.

nativewolf

Quote from: so il logger on May 18, 2021, 04:40:40 PM

This one slope is riddled with this. 90% of the bigger timber has these rot seams and all are on the west side or uphill side of the trees. Fire damage?

No 56 Chevy but I happened across this bultaco engine yesterday
Fires normally will want to burn uphill, they can slowly back down a slope.  90% rotted with seams like that on the same face...strange.  I'd ask the landowners maybe.  
That Bultaco engine could be a collectable to someone, niche motorcycle here in the US.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

On this harvest we have several large yellow poplar with multi-stems, some are fused some... not.  

Here is a triple stem, 30" stems

Dropped the first stem

Then down to just one.  You can see the height on those, quite something.  This stem might be 40" at the stump where we'll cut it, about 33" at the top of the first log.   Altogether that triple will have close to 4k feet of good logs.
Liking Walnut

Skeans1

Quote from: so il logger on May 18, 2021, 04:25:49 PM

Oops?
Almost looks like it went over sideways.

so il logger

On the rotted trees, i have seen allot of skidding damage from 30-40 yr past harvest and sometimes they do look just like this. However, these are scattered across a fairly steep hill at different elevations. Pics dont do terrain justice but there is no way I'm skidding sidehill on this hill. And for all the seams to be on the uphill side it seems that would have to take place to skin one enough. One hill over and there is no issues, timber cut excellent. This hillside I'm losing 12' of the butt. White, red, and black oak. The hard maple have issues as well but no visible sign while standing. Fire is all I can figure

so il logger

Quote from: Skeans1 on May 18, 2021, 09:42:29 PM
Quote from: so il logger on May 18, 2021, 04:25:49 PM

Oops?
Almost looks like it went over sideways.
Hinge failure looks like from here. Hickory are strange critters. Hinge a little too thick and they chair. Thin hinge with a slight bypass kerf into the stump forward of the hinge and they do what they want if the lean was misjudged. The "trigger" wood takes over and pulls it around somewhat. Crap happens... Lol

Thank You Sponsors!