iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Way Ahead

Started by jargo432, February 09, 2015, 05:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Man, I'm so far ahead on my woodcutting.  I've only used about 30% of my wood.  We have had a really mild winter so far here in N. Texas.  Today was beautiful.  72 deg and not a breath of wind.  Awesome.
Jack of all trades.

terrifictimbersllc

Mine is about 1/3 gone.  Continuous fire almost since mid-November.  Finishing most of the white oak from summer 2013, will be burning cherry soon.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

landscraper

It's a good feeling to have more than enough firewood and not worry about staying warm  :)   When I first got my OWB several years ago I was out cutting wood in the snow by January because I way underestimated the amount of wood I would burn.  I said "NEVER AGAIN", and now I get all my wood ready well in advance, in fact by the end of this winter I should have enough wood split for 2 or more years. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

WDH

I am a little low  :) :-\. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I 'bout ran out last year, but not this year. 

This is the first (and hopefully my last) time to use slabs for a portion of my firewood.  When I sawed the Ash for my Cabin Addition bedroom floor, I whacked the slabs into firewood lengths and split it.  It's OK, but I like thicker firewood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I just split a whack of Cherry to mix with my dry wood.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Yes you did.  Cherry stinks when it burns and so does Ash.  There is nothing that compares with Red Oak.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Way ahead,is better than way behind.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bert

I got caught in the same deal a few years ago. The weather got bad and stayed consistently bad for about 2 months. I was down to hauling a days supply on the back rack of an atv at a time since nothing else would go in the deep snow and ice. I swore that would not happen again. Since then I keep about a 2 years supply on hand but still cut every chance I get out of fear.
Saw you tomorrow!

WDH

Cherry?  Oh no!  Only a goat would do that  :-X
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jargo432

I think two years ahead is as far as I want to go.  I don't want the wood to dry out too much.  If I was to try to go farther than that I'd leave it unsplit until about a year out.
Jack of all trades.

WmFritz

Quote from: WDH on February 10, 2015, 07:30:14 AM
Cherry?  Oh no!  Only a goat would do that  :-X.

I think I saw a bench or two in that pile.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 10, 2015, 07:30:14 AM
Cherry?  Oh no!  Only a goat would do that  :-X.

That firewood was split from Cherry Slabs......but I was C O L D Pop!  :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Well then it was slabbed heavily, but it is hard to judge a slab by it's firewood alone.  (new old saying)    :D

drobertson

I reckon I may be a lil superstitious, but I sure wish he had not mentioned a mild winter!  Most of our bad snows come from his way first ;D and we get hammered,   I'm low by the way, with plenty to bring up, come on Spring!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

coxy

Quote from: landscraper on February 09, 2015, 07:10:59 PM
It's a good feeling to have more than enough firewood and not worry about staying warm  :)   When I first got my OWB several years ago I was out cutting wood in the snow by January because I way underestimated the amount of wood I would burn.  I said "NEVER AGAIN", and now I get all my wood ready well in advance, in fact by the end of this winter I should have enough wood split for 2 or more years.
if you have all that free time I could use some help (you do all the work)with mine ill even feed ya  :D :)

Thank You Sponsors!