iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hourly pricing for your own Labour

Started by Thewoodman, May 02, 2015, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewoodman

When you blokes  price your labour into a load of wood, what are you charging it at? I run at bare minimum $25 a hour + costs.
Manuka / Radiata Pine / Redwood

KiwiBro

Firewood is a real challenge in NZ. At least I find it so. But, I like challenges, so I tend to want to hit about the same rate as you because it has become a kind of hobby/pursuit to keep at it long enough to find the best solution. Were it not an enjoyable pursuit, it just couldn't pay enough to keep me doing it. But there is a massive variation on what the "+ costs" part of the equation means for different people and businesses. I think that's the hardest nut to crack, me thinks.
Max characters: 300

Thewoodman

Were in NZ are you? and what do you sell?

KiwiBro

Northland. Ma/Kanuka and Gum mainly. Whatever needs cleared.

Thewoodman

KiwiBro

have done but is marginal with the trucking costs so don't chase it anymore

Thewoodman

Have you tried it with fert trucks? Or is it carried from  Marsden Pt?

KiwiBro

Quote from: Thewoodman on May 04, 2015, 02:33:44 AM
Have you tried it with fert trucks? Or is it carried from  Marsden Pt?
Bulk truck backloads from, say, Far North to Auckland seem too rare to guarantee. Not sure about fert, but PKE is ex: Whangarei. No wood needing shifting to Auckland this Winter but if could find someone with regular backload needs into Auckland from Far North, even if flatdeck or curtainside, could probably  fab something to help contain max load and keep it easy to load/unload. But needs to be regular to justify the time, cost and hassle and then Auckland needs to pay more to justify. Some people do take it through and try to find backloads back from Auckland.

Thewoodman

We have manaka for africa up the east coast, but theres no way the guys could load a truck in half a hour. I'm moving away from it, and move towards macro and gum.
Much fall out over harvestpro tipping over your way?

KiwiBro

Even with a digger, still takes a while and too much dirt goes with wood for my liking. Have an idea for fast conveyor but not enough money in firewood to justify the cost.

Plenty of farmers are chasing honey from manuka blocks rather than clearing lately.

Pretty nasty times for some losing jobs and truckers owed heaps in the harvest pro fallout. Not sure how they could dig a 26 million dollar hole like that.

Thewoodman

A friend of mines  family farm  has been brought to allow it to revert back to manaka. 2.5million is alot to pay for some were for bees to play.

KiwiBro

And no control over the neighbours, having left bugger-all trees on their farm, lining up hives on their side of the boundary :-)

Thank You Sponsors!