iDRY Vacuum Kilns

upgrade, upgrade, upgrade blues

Started by pineywoods, August 13, 2015, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

The latest upgrade to the forum software left me with a few problems. The new member advertising banners never display, the additional emoticons are there but clicking on any of  them does absolutely nothing, and I can't send IM's. IM's appear to get sent to the ff server ok, just never get written to my outbox. The first two situations were just a minor annoyance, but not being able to send IM's(can read them ok) gets to be a real problem. With the current heat wave we are experiencing, it appeared now would be a good time to forgo the sawmill, stay in the cool house and work on computer problems. Couple of days of "try this, try that" and "eliminate this and that" pinned the problem down to a piece of software called JAVA. The new features require JAVA-6, sure enough I'm running JAVA-5. OK, just update JAVA, but update 6 requires firefox3 and I'm running firefox2. BUT, firefox3 don't like windows98 on my old desktop. Rather than go through the hassel of upgrading all that stuff, I elected to put back into service one of the better of my junker desktops and just build an entire new system. A few bumps in that road, but it's finally up and running, works well on the forum. Windows XP-pro, firefox 3.0 and the latest java.

I've seen a few posts here about similar problems on windows 10. JAVA may well be the culprit. Java is not part of windows, it's a 3rd party product..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

The forum does not use java in any form. Only Javascript. Two totally different things. The gallery has a Java uploader available yet but that is obsolete. I have java totally removed from my computers.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

Quote from: Jeff on August 13, 2015, 11:22:42 PM
The forum does not use java in any form. Only Javascript. Two totally different things. The gallery has a Java uploader available yet but that is obsolete. I have java totally removed from my computers.

Technically correct, I tend to lump everything in one basket. Lest it appear that I am bashing the forum, absolutely not so. The problems I was encountering were all of my own making. Nine years on the forum with the same old HP desktop, never upgraded anything, long past due.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Jeff

To me Java is a cancer on a PC anymore.  I have it completely uninstalled. Rarely do I encounter something where I need it to get around. Maybe a very old website. Say, like my first personal web site from nearing twenty years ago. At that time Java was "uber" cool. Not so much anymore as you can do the same things with a much more secure platform. I know it is still run on millions of devices, I just don't use it for the forum.

Brucer had the same issue. could not send personal messages. I logged into his account for him and could not replicate the issue. I don't know if he figured it out. He also was using a very un-updated system.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

So all these java update, platforms and plugins I have are bad?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

I thought it was a basic food group.  ;D I am also having computer issues, very slow loading and often has to be rebooted. It defrags once a week, I regularly run disc cleanup, it's a DanG good thing I don't need it for business. I use Windows 7 in a 4 year old computer.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm