iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

salt and pepper

Started by 4x4American, January 20, 2016, 03:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

What do you fellow yanks do when you have a sawjob you can't pass up and the roads are salty?  They are dry for the most part but really salty.  I am going to go spray some wd40 in a spritz bottle over the bottom and going to saran wrap all the boxes, packing tape over the end of the motors, di electric grease over the motor connectors, tape over any hole i can find anywhere and give it the sign of the cross.

Momma taught me to always pass the salt with the pepper, thats why I mentioned it lol
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

4x4 don't do it
Ran my dump trailer in the winter and wish I didn't and it was under coated
Have them bring he logs to you
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

homesteader1972

How far you gotta go? If its a really good job that cant wait you could trailer the mill to the site.
Woodmizer LT40HD20G

beenthere

Are you going to apply this treatment before or after the road trip?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

its thirteen miles one way and ill be there for 2 weeks at least and possibly as long as a month the guy has enough wood to keep me there for a month but it all depends on how much $ he has lol.  i plan to wipe it down and oil upon arrival.  Gonna go slow too, to try and not stir up much dust.  Wont help for 18 wheelers and tri axle dump trucks passing by other way.  I really don't wanna pull the mill through the salt but I really needa make $$ and this is the only sawjob or job I have period right now.  Salt or not here I come...
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Quote from: homesteader1972 on January 20, 2016, 04:07:02 PM
How far you gotta go? If its a really good job that cant wait you could trailer the mill to the site.

I thought about it but the mill is on wheels what good are they if I dont use em??  besides my trailer is so tall im not sure id be able to get it on without scraping and I sure as
heck aint gonna trust someone else to unload it!
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

I ran my dump trailer because i needed the money and it cost more money in the long run .i know what it's like to need some income .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

dgdrls

wrap it up in shipping cellophane and have it travel on a Car-Hauler Flatbed

Do not pull it through through the salt!!

Dan

Peter Drouin

Work is work I have pulled the mill in salt too. Just go in the morning before the snow melts. When your done go to the car wash. Or you can wash it at home.
I use big garbage bags and duck tape over the control panel and front of the cat.

Bruno I know about the trailer thing. I have one all rusted. When I went to get the tin for the mill building the wheels would not turn.
So I drag it around in the yard till they turned. :D
Then I pulled all the brake parts out. And put the thing back together . Now I have no brakes.
That 4x4 is where you will have problems.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

At the end of the day it's a piece of equipment not a piece of furniture.  I just spent the past few hours oiling, taping, and covering with bags and whatnot.  I'll prolly spend another hour on it tomorrow morning as it got dark on me.  It's not that I don't care it's that I need that headrig going back and forth.  Time to go sharpen some blades for tomorrow!
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Wouldn't it be worse to wash it then the water would freeze to it no?
Boy, back in my day..

peterpaul

Hello

I share your pain regarding the potential for rust from salt.  I have not tried Fluid Film yet but plan to.  http://www.fluid-film.com/  I have a 2013 GMC 2500 HD, the frame looks like it's 10 years old.  All you can do is wash it off. 
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

Jeff

Go make some money and give her a really good bath when you get home. Here in the land of salt you gotta do what ya gotta do to make a buck and sitting home is not an option
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Peter Drouin

Car wash is hot water I think :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

brendonv

I dont run my ewuipment on any wet winter roads. I do however use them when the roads are dry. I use fluid film on everything. Undercarriages of everything looks as good as the day it was applied.  Wash it off come spring and do a light coat for the summer. It is messy and smelly at first, but i will not own another piece of over the road ewuipment that hasnt been treated.

It will be messy on a mill but you can wash it all off in the end.

A friend has a brand new truck that gets the duty of vermont snow travels. That means back and forth to vt from ct all winter. Truck looks good as new still.

I bought the pro model application gun, and buy the product by the gallon.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

bkaimwood

Jeff nailed it...when you can't afford to not go, its a no brainer. And even if you don't have to go, some go just because that how we are engineered. Just take the precautions you already have. And I didn't even mention the amount of work there...for that much work, you couldn't chain me home...have at it, good luck, and have fun!!...
bk

Jeff

bkaimwood

Nice Jeff...its not a Barbie doll...use your equipment as it was designed...to get a job done, and make $$$$...BUT take care of it, maintain it, and respect it...
bk

Jeff

You should probably read the accompanying link.  :)  That happened on the way to becoming my mill, crossing the continental divide in a snow storm.

red

Can you keep the covers over the engine and command console ?  I know some people that trailer their boats with canvas covers on . Maybe add a few bungee cords .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

bkaimwood

I did Jeff, but respectfully state that my post still holds the same meaning...use it but take care of it. Most of run sawmills, not nail salons. I will admit that my heart did drop, only for a second though, while I took it in!! :)...:( ...poor girl
bk

4x4American

Holy cow Jeff that really is the slush mizer!  Do you still have it?
Boy, back in my day..

Jeff

Jeff

York Woodwright

I have struggled with my approach to the same problem of salted roads; to date, I have been able to avoid it. Have you considered taking the mill to a place that sprays vehicles with an anti-rust solution? That's what I will do. The local rust inhibitor shop usually charges $130 (Cdn.) for a truck but would do my mill for much less. I just had my 11-year old F150 sprayed (do it annually) and the body looks like new. Most of the pickups of similar age around here are starting a weight reduction program -- it's called rust.
Charles
I'm still learning how to use my WM LT40HD. This is an avocation, not a vocation -- not as pecunious as medicine, but a lot more fun!

Thank You Sponsors!