iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Efficiency Washers and Dryers

Started by Roxie, June 30, 2016, 10:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

I bought a LG front loader with all the bells and whistles about a year ago. JUNK. We have to wash the clothes twice every time. once with soap and once without so that they rinse properly and even then they come out soaking wet.
Service has come out 3 times. First thing they do is connect their smart phone via Bluetooth and look for codes. Second thing they do is say there is no codes so nothing is wrong. Third is leave.

Front gasket has leaked since the first day.

JUNK

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Raider Bill, those were the horror stories that I was reading, and they weren't limited to LG. 

I was very leery of the electronics because of my own experiences with lighting frying the switch panel in my stove.  The panel cost almost half what I paid for the stove, and if my son had not been able to install it, I shudder to think what it would have cost.  At the time, the stove was only just over a year old. 

The more that I looked and read about these HE machines, it seemed the technology was taking us backward.  By the way, my washer does have "eco" setting, which uses less water, and over rides the warm wash setting (automatically goes to cold, cold), but I'll never use it.  We average two loads a week, and I'm not going to apologize for that.  As I've said, where is the ecological benefit to use less water, but over twice the electricity?
Say when

4x4American

The water is just gonna go back to where it come from in the ground anyways, but they can bill you for the electric.
Boy, back in my day..

Bill Gaiche

Bill Gaiche

Today we saw a Whirlpool washer and dryer set at Lowes and Home Depot that had the manual knobs. They looked pretty nice. I have no Idea of the quality. bg

bill m

Great timing on this thread! Our Kenmore washer ( bought new in Feb. 1992 ) died on Wednesday evening so we are going to find a replacement this afternoon. From the responses it looks like we should consider a Speed Queen.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Roxie

I can attest to excellent performance at this point, but only time will tell about the service issues.  The reviews I read about reliability were all very good though. 

A word to the wise is in order, however.  When you go with your wife to check models and prices, take a few hours before you get in the car to leave for the store to search your memory for prices of things you've purchased that cost equal to or more than the washer and dryer.  Poor Cowboy Bob seemed to think I was spending a lot of money.  He was very quickly reminded that his lawn mower cost more than double these units.  As a friend, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention this possible snake pit in your future.   :D
Say when

OneWithWood

...and you know CB has way more fun on the mower than you do with the washer/dryer.  I'm thinking you are due another item or two to make up the difference  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Roxie

Say when

bill m

Our new Speed Queen washer will be here Thursday morning.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

kensfarm

Back in 2000 I bought the Maytag Neptune front loader washer/dryer.. for 15 years the only problem was the washer locking piece burnt up.. wasn't hard to replace.  Last year the bearing started going out on the washer and it kept throwing the belt.  Once I started having to put the belt back on multiple times a wash.. that was it.  It lasted for 15 years.. the dryer was still good.. still looked new..  I gave it to a friend when his dryer went south.. he has a full house.. plus wasn't too long ago he was in a car accident.

I did some researched online.. read a bunch of reviews..  pushed and pulled on a few loader doors, buttons, knobs.. see what looks like it would break way too easy.

I ended up buying the Samsung front loader Washer/Dryer set - Super Speed, Power Foam, Steam.. even the dryer has a water hookup for steam.  These are large capacity.. and are also bigger in size.  I do a lot of wash because of animals.. plus my farm clothes get pretty dirty..  so I've tested them out pretty good..  stuffed it full.. 
has prewash if needed.. no issue w/ pet hair.  Everything comes out pretty clean.. super speed really spins out the water so they take less time to dry.  They even play a jingle when finished.. no more buzzer.  Plus.. they have a 10 year warranty. 

chet

Roxie, my wife Judy thanks you.  :)  She now has a new Speed Queen, with manual controls, and loves it.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

That is awesome!  We must be keeping those Wisconsin workers busy!   :)
Say when

4x4American

I think Speed Queen may have to become a new sponsor of the forum.  How many SQ units has the forum sold in the past month? 
Boy, back in my day..

chet

Ok folks, now da wife needs a new vacuum.  :D  So who makes a good heavy duty dependable one.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

trapper

Joyce says check consumer reports Judy should know her from the pig roast.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

4x4American

Quote from: Chet on August 12, 2016, 10:38:01 PM
Ok folks, now da wife needs a new vacuum.  :D  So who makes a good heavy duty dependable one.

Our Hoover sucks like no other.  It has the brush roller and hepa filter all on a swivel head plus you can get them in 220v, for the big jobs
Boy, back in my day..

Roxie

Hands down, the most powerful and dependable vacuum I've ever used is a Rainbow.  It was purchased in 1990 and is still going, but my sister is using it because it became difficult for me to use due to the water required for filtering.  Awesome suction and remains consistent through out each use because of the water.  Heavy and not flexible for things like stairs. 

My new ride is now 4 years old and is the Eureka Pet Lover.  Fully loaded it weighs less than 15 lbs, which means it  an go anywhere.  Good suction, adequate to get the job done for household and auto cleaning.  Important to me, it has a hepa filter. 

My neighbor has an Electrolux that she's used for over ten years, and she swears by it.  Bless her heart, she's got dogs, cats, kids and grand kids everywhere, so it must be good., 
Say when

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

I installed a NuTone central vac and my wife loves it. No more dragging a hevy vac around the house, just a lightweight hose. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

chet

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 13, 2016, 08:38:24 AM
Shop Vac :D

Da wife has been known ta use one of my shop  vacs in the house during some of da many renovation projects. But I think she would frown on da idea of using them for general housework.  :D  I have offered ta let her use my 5HP shop unit, but dat didn't go over well.  :-\

Larry

This last house I built was all hardwood and tile floors.  No vacuum required, at least that was our idea.  Some of our family had other ideas.  We got one of those robot vacuums as a Christmas present last year and the year before a Eureka something or other.  Kathy told me the other day she managed to trade off the still in box robot vacuum for an exercise machine...she should have traded for a chainsaw. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

We have all hardwood and tile floors.  Last year I bought a Roomba robot made by iRobot.  The thing is a marvel.  Just turn it on and let it go.  It will vacuum until it is full, stop for you to empty it, then continue on until the battery is low.  When the battery is low or it has completed its job it returns to the charging station. 
It would save Judy from having to push a vacuum around.  The only downside is Jette will go down to the basement when it is running.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pineywoods

We have one of the Irobot units. It's kinda mis-named, it's more of a floor sweeper than a vacuum, but it does work well especially on wood and tile floors. The only time it has failed to find it's way back to the charging station is when it got entangled in some foreign matter like cables and extension cords and couldn't get loose. If you have pets in the house, the thing is a dream. Like it was designed especially for pet hair under your beds. Ours is set up to automaticly wake up at 7 pm every other day and do it's thing with no human attention. If the collector bin gets full, it stops and asks for the bin to be emptied.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bandmill Bandit

FYI on the Maytag Neptune

IF all the electronics, timmers, etc are in good working order it is worth doing the bearings for sure.

IF you go to an appliance dealer you will get a quote of over $700 for the parts BUT that includes ALL of the parts and components that make up the entire tub. I have the bearing part #s if any one needs em, and the bearings are worth about $35. Its a pretty easy fix but does require a couple of bodies for reassembly. There are a couple of recall ugrades depending on serial # and manufacture date.

Even the electronics are pretty fool proof and still available as of a year ago when I did the rebuild on my daughter inlaws machine.

It was in the house they bought ad she used for about 6 months before it needed to be done. She did NOT want a new one cause she really liked this one. When it cratered she was not happy camper when she call the appliance repair place when they told her it wasn't worth fixing.

I tore it down and had it back running in less than 2 days. 1 hour to disassemble. ordered bearings and the upgraded seal kit the next morning and had them by 3 same day. Son and I assembled it and had it running by 630 that evening.

She claims she has not used a better  washer and dryer so far.         
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!