iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High Efficiency Washers and Dryers

Started by Roxie, June 30, 2016, 10:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxie

Quote from: gspren on July 09, 2016, 09:30:18 PM
  Roxie, keep us informed of your opinion after you use the Speed Queen awhile. My wife has never been overly happy with her Maytag Neptune front loader. She doesn't like that it and maybe most front loaders leave water in them all of the time.

After 3 months of use, I've had a chance to get to know my Speed Queen washer and dryer, so here are the things that I consider noteworthy.

The cleaning ability of the washer is beyond any I've ever used.  I haven't had to use a pretreatment  product, bleach, or any additive, including Cowboy Bob's jeans and bib overalls.  I am not exaggerating, it has blown my mind that our clothes come out looking brand new.  I spilled beef stew down the front of a light blue cotton shirt I own, and decided this might just be the ultimate test, and it came out stain free.  I'm using Tide (regular) liquid detergent. 

The size of the load and the balance (stability) of both are truly amazing.  I combined bath rugs with CB's flannel lined jackets and they didn't vibrate an inch. 

The dryer gets clothes dry as fast as any commercial dryer I've used.  A large load of normal laundry dries in 30 minutes.  A load of three pairs of bib overalls, with two pair of jeans takes 40 minutes.  The washer finishes the large and heavy cycle in 30 minutes.  The dryer's lint filter is easy to see and clean. 

To sum it up, I've achieved laundry nirvana. 
Say when

Raider Bill

I'm thinking of using my LG front loader as a artificial reef.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WmFritz

Mine can join yours... A couple weeks ago my LG front loading washer developed a screaming bearing.  >:( >:( >:(
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Roxie

Two years!?  How time flies when you're having fun, and actually looking forward to laundry day.  :)

The only maintenance for both the Speed Queen washer and dryer, is once a year, removing one screw on the dryer lint filter, which is located in the very front of the drum, and putting the vacuum dryer vent attachment in there and reattaching the lint screen.  Easy peasy.

Absolutely outstanding performance from both units under every thing you can throw at them.  Pillows, king size comforters, blankets, rugs, shower curtains, and Cowboy Bob's heaviest coats and jeans.  These were installed on a hardwood floor, and they haven't vibrated or moved an inch.  

I don't need to pretreat stains or the cuffs of CB's jeans (picture manure and wood chips).  I can start to finish, two loads in 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours.  

Hey @Raider Bill , have you made that contribution to the artificial reef?  :D

Say when

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Good to hear such a excellent report on these appliances.  I keep saying we're going to get them but my wife says why spend the money while our (crappy) "efficient" units are still "working..."

DPatton

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 17, 2016, 10:45:45 AM
I'm thinking of using my LG front loader as a artificial reef.
Raider, I had a set of he LG frontload too. Never got anything clean. DanG things grew mold like crazy if you didn't leave the door and detergent drawer open after every use. Spent more time doing loads over and over trying to get them clean or at least smelling better. Best thing that ever happened with it was the DanG quit running!
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Raider Bill

I'm waiting for either the washer to finally puke or the dryer to go so I can get matching speed Queens. Where they are is built for front loaders so I'm going to have to do some remodeling to accommodate top loaders.
LG front loaders are junk. Never again. Actually I'm boycotting LG everything.
Having to drain a washer, keep the detergent and main door open after you use it seems to me going backwards in technology.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Three years of outstanding performance, and not a single issue.

Three years of not needing to use any kind of stain treatment. 

Three years of washing and drying a full load in under an hour.

God Bless Wisconsin and Speed Queen.

Say when

chet

Da wife says Amen ta dat, she loves hers.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Roxie

Four years now of flawless and maintenance free performance.  Amazing!

Say when

chet

4 years, 1 week,  and 2 days on ours, same results.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Sedgehammer

We have a front load LG. Works great. 2 years or so. I'd have to look for sure. Matter of fact, I'll do that. But where do I look.....🤔
Oh I know, I'll ask me bride.....  ;D
Necessity is the engine of drive

sprucebunny

I had to buy a washing machine recently after my 20 year old Kenmore died. I looked at Speed Queen pretty hard because I remembered this thread  :)

But I decided I didn't want a top load ( I actually Did want one...) because it's impossible to access the pump which I had to do a few times a year in the past. Many new front load have a waste water filter !!  8)

My biggest problem was that they all got bigger...lots bigger. Mostly deeper and it's behind a door and it's wall backs up to the kitchen and the new machines were 8" deeper than the Kenmore ! I couldn't believe it !

So I bought a half size machine for full size money and dragged it up the stairs.

I'm hoping that it uses the same bearings as larger machines for the drum because the smaller drum will wear a bearing less and it's something I had to rebuild on the other even though I rarely loaded it up.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Sedgehammer

@sprucebunny ....... don't they deliver in your neck of the big wood 🤔

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Sedgehammer on August 19, 2020, 10:05:19 AM
We have a front load LG. Works great. 2 years or so. I'd have to look for sure. Matter of fact, I'll do that. But where do I look.....🤔
Oh I know, I'll ask me bride.....  ;D
I figured out where to look. Be 2 years in Sept 9th put in service date. It's 5.2 cubic ft. Been really good. 

GRANITEstateMP

Just installed the our new Speed Queen TR3.  I couldn't handle another washer only making in 4 or 5 years and not getting work and barn close CLEAN. We'll put this through a good test and let ya's know how it works out. Bought it at a local store, sold by the owner, who knew EVERYTHING about the product, AND they repair them (when needed) too.  
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

btulloh

Good luck with the speed queen. They have a good reputation and seems to be a cult following. I got a new speed queen w&d back in january and pretty impressed so far. Only time will tell about longevity but it's got to be better than the other stuff out there.  Pretty high price, but supposedly worth it. It only hurt for a little while after the check was written. Gets stuff clean.
HM126

Roxie

Just a month away from my five year anniversary post on this thread. Both units are working as well as the day I bought them.

To say I am thrilled would be an understatement. God bless Wisconsin and God bless Speed Queen. 

Say when

Sedgehammer

Speed queens owner https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliance_Laundry_Systems

If they be as good as the cult following says, it might be because they have commercial laundry systems as their roots

I'll say this about our LG. No matter how good this unit is, we'll not be buying anything LG going forward. Don't last like i think they should

peakbagger

I am late to this party but if you want a top load horizontal axis "lifetime washer", IMO the best option is Staber. Its a US built commercial grade washer. They have had the same design for at least 25 years. If they do need service, its all doable by the owner but not a lot to go wrong. I have had one for 20 years and it just keep ticking. No door seals to worry about as its top load. It was a horizontal axis long before the big companies came out with them and spins clothes super dry which means less drying and water use is super low. I dont own a dryer and just hang the clothes overnight.  The basket is made out of stainless. Parts count is super low and all the switches are mechanical. They are popular with fire departments and places that need to process a lot of loads. 

Residential Clothes Washers | Staber Industries, Inc.

They are not cheap and only sell direct from the factory. 

Sixacresand

Last year our Samsung front loading washer went off like a shotgun and started smoking.  It was over 10 years old.  it was toast as far as the Wife was concerned.  There was not a exact appearance replacement available so a new "set" , washer and dryer, was bought.  Same brand.  The washer works fine, but in the dryer the cloths get twisted and creates wad of wet clothes.  The Manufacturer is no help and pretty much tell us we after fifty years of drying clothes we are not doing it right, but can't tell us what right is.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

hedgerow

Quote from: peakbagger on April 27, 2021, 08:18:14 AM
Residential Clothes Washers | Staber Industries, Inc.

They are not cheap and only sell direct from the factory.
Our well water seems to be hard on clothes washers in the eighteen years we have lived here we are on our third washer. Current one is a LG and will be three years old in June so far no issues. Have a buddy that has had one on well water for twelve years. I think when this one dies I will try one of these Staber brand washers. I had never heard of them. 

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

quilbilly

Just gonna throw this out there. We have a speed queen and it's been pretty good. Less than 5 years old though and it's a bit loud. I'm wondering about a bearing going out. We got the electronic controls bc of a longer warranty that came with them. No issues on that part of the machine. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!