iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Books on milling

Started by JD_Kid, March 31, 2002, 02:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
with being as green as fresh cut pine, any good books to read on milling ,stacking/storing lumber?? with being in NZ i may need the ISBN   of the book too ..the kinda book that get 4 out of 5 hard hats for info and hands on kinda stuff .
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

JoeyLowe

;D
Hey JD:

Being new myself, I thought I would share with you my successes with finding info on milling.  First of all, this forum is a good place to start.  The knowledge base has a couple of good articles on basics and the more experienced members are very willing to share their knowledge.  Second, give a go at www.sawmillmag.com.  You can get all of their back issues for less than $100.00 and that's like getting an encyclopedia of info.  Finally, take a look at www.woodweb.com.  Lots of good info there too!  As for books, haven't seen any just yet, but I've been told that this is the kind of work that is best experienced hands-on. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Kevin

Wood-Mizer has a good paper back titled From Woods To Woodshop[/i], A guide for producing the best lumber by Gene Wengert.   $5

Tom

Timber Harvester has put out a series of 5 or 6 videos on sawing including sawing for grade. They have a web site but I'de have to go find out what it is.  May be www.timberharvester.com as a wild guess :D

woodman

Try Sawmill Woodlot is agood one
Jim Cripanuk

Bud Man

JD  Try www.natlhardwood.org  Books, videos etc. some is pricey but good !!   :P
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

JD_Kid

Hi ya's
 thanks for the info i'll have to look into it i have heard that some videos from the USA don't work downunder (wrong format not cos we are upside down)post and packing maybe be a killer tho  :'(
catch ya
JD Kid
I used to smoke camels but found them hard to light and kicked to much

Thank You Sponsors!