iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finished order

Started by woodmills1, April 01, 2002, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

here is a shot of the last of the red oak post and beam I have been cutting since January.  over 150 pieces with the smallest at 4"x4"x8' and the largest 8x8x18. cut 4900 bd ft of product along with some 3200 of nice 4/4.  this was my first complete job from harvesting the trees to finished product, and it took just under 170 hours.

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodman

Are you going to dry it or send it out wet.
Jim Cripanuk

Bud Man

James   Looks and sounds like you've been a busy beaver, that's a nice pile of wood and effort you described, but I'd speak to the feller what stacked It or maybe check to see if he'd been samplin the wobbly pop while he was a stacking ;) The feller what stacked It ain't under It Is he ??
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

BRP

Some nice cuts ya got there,whatsup with the tree in the background.

woodmills1

This run of post and beam is being picked up by the customer green so his carpenter can cut the mortise and tennons while the red oak can still be worked.  Yes that is some wobbly pop stack but it will be that way only untill tuesday when I load it all back onto the trailer so I can then load it onto the customers truck/trailer.  The tree in the background is an apple, the front of the property we just moved onto was/is an orchard,  though it has been fallow for a few years.  I will try to rejuvinate it either next year or the one after.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Don P

If you get a chance to get some pics of the progress on the frame I'd sure love it 8) 8)

Ron Wenrich

We have one guy in our neck of the woods that does post and beam construction.  He is strictly a white pine man.

Last year I cut about 30 Mbf that ranged from 4 x 6 to 10 x 12, in all lengths to 16'.  I cut heavy to allow for shrinkage.  
He lets it air dry for a year or so, then gets it planed S4S.

We also have a post and beam manufacturer up near the NY border.  They are working in red oak, pine and cherry.  A lot of computerized equipment.  Very tight tolerances.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

the nice thing about the woodmizer is its ability to produce quality.  on this order I roughed out the stock to 2.25" oversized and then took them off to make more rough sized blanks.  when the blade started to get dull I put on a fresh one and resized the roughs to finish by taking one 1.125" pass on each face.  this gave a real nice finish that was within a sixteenth for square and along the lengths.  This process made the carpenter doing the mortise work very happy, he seemed a little picky! did I say anal?????????? :D this is also why I would not do the job at $.80/ bd ft again and would bid more like $1.25.  Thank god I bought the grapple trailer last summer with all of the handling this took.

Frank_Pender

It fun to complete an order. 8) 8)  If for nothing else but to stand and look at the accomplishment.  8)   I completed one a few days ago for Boise.  They were special cut 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 Douglas fir 12' long.     The timbers were for a bridge that was owned by another big timber company that need reparing after a large shovel had done some major damage.  It sure was a nitch market that day. 8)
Frank Pender

timberbeast

Wow,  Frank,  you got a good contact there!!!
Millsy,  nice pile of timber,  I think I'd dice that Apple Tree up into turning blocks to sell and save the chips and sawdust fer the smokehouse!!
Where the heck is my axe???

Frank_Pender

Aw, Timber Beast, let it grow and prune it out like an oversized Bonsai Tree.  8)  I ate one of three pears from a Bartlet Pear Tree, once.   The owner had been growing the tree for 35 years,  It bore fruit every other year or so and had succeeded in keeping the tree to within 24" in height.  I was a gorgeous piece of art, created by both, nature and man.  He had a Japaneses Black Pine that had been given to him as a gift from Japan, that was 500 years old and only 18" in height.  Let the apple grow and enjoy nature and mans art at the same time.  When it dies you can then create the bowls, platters and continue to enjoy them both again, only in a different form.  the form changes bot not the beauty.   ;)

White apple blossoms
                   Floating in the summers breeze
                        Apple pie cools slow
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!