iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Grading workshop has been postponed

Started by Jim_Rogers, October 13, 2016, 10:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I have just been notified that this event has been postponed until a later date to be announced.
Sorry about that.
10/21/16
There is a timber grading workshop being held in Charleston, SC on Nov 7-Nov 9, 2016 sponsored by the TFEC (Timber Framers Engineering Council) with the help of the TFG (Timber Framers Guild).

The event is 2.5 days of hands-on instruction by Ron Anthony (wood scientist) as well as a grader from the SPIB. Not only will it count for a stack of continuing education credits (license renewals are coming up soon...!) but it will allow you to more confidentially understand the theory behind timber grading, and put it into practice.

More info can be found at: https://www.tfguild.org/events/timber-grading-training-course

I took this course last year, and, found it well worth both the time and the money.
Joe Miller, Ph.D., P.E., P.Eng.
FIRE TOWER ENGINEERED TIMBER
Providence, RI

They still have openings for this event. You don't have to be a member of the TFG in order to attend. It is open to all. Engineers, timber framers, sawyers, designers and wood-workers interested in learning about timber grading.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

ScottCC

I am trying to understand how to get certified in log grading so that I can work to become a member of NAHB log and timer association.  Any help?  I tried the link and I got advertising.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Jim_Rogers

I don't know about log grading, sorry I can't help you.

Jim Rogers

Don P

Last time I checked the only listed log home log grading agencies were Timber Products Inspections in Conyers,GA (Also out west, can't recall where) and the Log Home Council of NAHB.

I've taken grader training for dimensional lumber at TP, the same concepts apply to log grading, the details change. To hold a valid graders card the mill must be stationary and you pay steep dues that help cover the pop inspections your overseeing agency is required to make at your fixed facility of your product. I have a nice wall plaque and a T shirt but cannot afford to stamp lumber.

ScottCC

Thanks for some direction, I just do not understand why big money is the only answer to most questions.  I'll find a way around it.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Don P

I just noticed your location... it's been done there I think, check on NYS native lumber laws or similar. I seem to recall a one day training there.

My building official will also allow an engineer to certify lumber here. I can use the pop inspector from the agency but paying his windshield time alone cost as much as the engineer. Basically my BO wants to see a solid chain of liability. My contractors liability insurance would not cover me grading.

Quote from: ScottCC on January 29, 2017, 01:42:14 PM
I just do not understand why big money is the only answer to most questions. 
Cause the folks with little money haven't banded together... yet. Figure out a way to start our own agency and become recognized by ALSC to stamp.

Jim, did they reschedule?

Jim_Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!