iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.

Started by Stephen Alford, April 02, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

The only mess I saw like that was in Sumner ME, maybe ½ hour from me. A microburst laid down a few acres. Well I say a few acres. I just drive by it. It looked just like that. Probably been 15 years since that happened. Driving by I can't even tell now. There was a lot of big hardwood trees laid over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chep

Stephen
One other thing. Are there any lessons to take away from the storm? Thinning densities?  Gap size?  Edge thinning etc or was it just a mother of a storm and anything and everything got wrecked? 
What got spared? Species? Density etc
Sorry try again is very ironic though...

Stephen Alford

Up until lately the focus has been on the urban situation for the most part. Fruit trees and shrubbery are all that I will be planting handy my home.  The damage is widespread, estimates vary at this point but 40 % of the tree cover may be flattened. The thinnings seem to have done better overall. The established road and trail systems are already in place. They are definately not in the tangled mess that the untouched stands are in. Thinned stands are going to be much safer to work in. Having been thinned for firewood in most cases the poorer trees were already removed.  The storm occurred when the canopy was still in full foliage which contributed to the degree of damage.  When we have storms in the winter season everything is frozen in place.  As for species at first glance pine seems to have been hit hard. There are a lot of things to be learned from an event like this on all levels and at this point it is a work in progress. 
   A colman stove and a garden go a long way in the aftermath  :)

logon

Stephen Alford

Got thinking about your question so went out to check on an ongoing mechanical thinning. It is a white spruce plantation about 25 years old with 2m spacing between rows. They are removing two rows then leaving 4 rows.  It seems to have done really well compared to most stands I have walked in the last week. 

On a domestic note having a manual sump or bilge pump for your home is a good idea. When the power fails or the gas for the generator runs out they sure are handy.

logon

chep

Stephen thanks for the additional thoughts. 
Once the initial residential work is done are you going to do any salvage work in the woodlots to try and save any saw timber that you once so delicately danced around? 

Stephen Alford

Good morning, once the dust settles a lot of decisions will have to be made by all stakeholders. I would enjoy working in the managed stands for several reasons. The landowners of managed woodland are great folks to work with and for and the hazard risk will be lower.  Enter real world variables no markets wood value even firewood low.  Markets at present are studwood and biomass both machine intense.  The best market the past month has been forestry gear. and you real world folks understand ...market driven.  Suffice to say all I have left is Ol blue with his winch.  We are currently going from dangerous tree removal to the hazard tree removal and cleaning up ag acres.  My guess is work in the future  will be done by landowners so I am hoping there is an opportunity in the training aspect that has a wee bit o space. If not more time for the garden. :)

logon

Dom

Those peppers are awesome, you got a green thumb.
Crazy to see all the damage done in one storm. I like your attitude,might as well try to learn how to prevent damage in future growth. 
I saw that Arsenault Sawmill was operating again, I imagine they only do studwood. 

Stephen Alford

Yes they are my friend, kinda like da habs , you can never count those rascals out they are one of the first trucks you see on the road in the morning and the last one at night.  The 80...100 km winds yesterday identified a few soft spots in the storm repairs .  Burring power lines will have to be part of the go forward.  The reason we had no cell service for so long was they were unable to get to the cell towers with fuel for the backup generators because of downed wires and trees. The cell companies actually had employees standing in line with 5 gallon jugs at the gas station trying to get fuel.    ::)
logon

Woodfarmer

This fellow by me here in Ontario has a couple hundred acres of pine the storm trashed. He's upset because no logger will take the clean up on. He thinks they'll get a hundred load of logs or more.

I told him no logger will touch it if there is no money in it for them.
When the trees are all snapped off 20' up, by the time you figure in the splintered wood, you may get a 12' log or 2 8's if your lucky.

Dom

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 09, 2022, 07:35:15 AM
   The reason we had no cell service for so long was they were unable to get to the cell towers with fuel for the backup generators because of downed wires and trees. The cell companies actually had employees standing in line with 5 gallon jugs at the gas station trying to get fuel.    ::)
That's crazy! You'd think someone in the know would prioritize those generators.  ::)
My grand mother was an Arsenault, Franky was her brother. I was happy to see the family mill got a new injection recently.
The ol' Habs are fun to watch, playing with grit. I'm liking it.The Leafs are picking up,  if they keep it together they'll go far. The fans deserve a good season, but I'll stop short to wish a good playoffs.  :D

Stephen Alford

That scenario you are describing Mr Woodfarmer is what I believe is the drive behind the demand for small to medium woods gear here in the Maritimes.  Private landowners planning to do the cleanup themselves. 
    Wow small world Mr Dom, great folks. Dont even mention the P word...most leaf fans are still in therapy... they dont start to chirp till mid January... :D
logon

Stephen Alford

Well this switch over to urban forestry sure does present a whole new array of variables that do not present themselves when working alone in a woodlot. The worst is folks taking a mosey unto the work site just to see whats going on and conversate .... got my buddy riding shotgun (retired RCMP ) he is great at crowd control.  Some of these storm trees are rather tricky when trying to minimize damage to assets.

In some cases its difficult to find something to tie off to. Came up with this proto type after watching the power company make repairs. its 3ft long with 8in disc . takes a 5ft crowbar to turn it in and a 5ft crowbar to turn it out . then attach to the 5in clevis.

Also found a set of these...what could go wrong :D...

logon

Stephen Alford

Just as a bit of an update , been about 6 months and with spring here thought I would take the first run up to check a couple stands and the beach sitch out.  The average provincial wood volume is about 25 cds to the acre. This stand of spruce would have been about 40cds to the acre logs ,stud and pulp.

The beautiful sand dunes in some areas are completely gone.

Surprising what did survive. This lighthouse is still standing.  Got to admire quality work.

logon

thecfarm

That takes the fun out of cutting wood.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

That's for sure Mr Cfarm.  Land owners are pretty discouraged.  Prices for wood have dropped and the realization that the even the salvage work will be limited .  Even the crews with machinery are finding it very difficult and slow going.  Reports that there is a lot of fiber damage  when the wood is sawed are not that surprising.  

This is part of the provincial seed tree nursery for larch .  

From the tourism perspective , efforts have begun to start some beach rehab. Some sand was being stockpiled in this parking lot.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/pei-fiona-ian-names-retired-hurricanes-1.6795089
logon

Stephen Alford

Well its been seven months since the hurricane and the cleanup continues. Had to add a little bling to ol blue to make him a little more visual when scooting around town . Got to say dot and most folks have been very patient as the work goes on.

Had to take this seventy foot oak down as it was a threat to a residence and power lines. Only the second oak I have ever felled.  What nice wood to work with. I have always left them standing as they are rare in the woodlots.

logon

thecfarm

Good to hear from you.
I have lots and lots of red oak. 
When claiming back the pasture I try to leave as many as I can. I have to cut a few from one place I claimed back. Too many in one area.

Dom

Stephen Alford

Thanks, woodlot cleanup is off the table for the time being. With the tangled mess high operating cost low wood value dont see how its feasible. Some landowners are attempting it themselves not sure how it is working out for them. The urban work has turned out to be a surprise.
  The province or city will haul it away if it is roadside and no longer than 6ft.  So the trees are yarded and blocked for firewood either for homeowner or given away.

The challenge has been dealing with the slash and small rounds. The go to tool has turned out to be a hoedad.  Great for chucking small rounds or dragging slash out were it can be pushed roadside. No bending over and keeps the slash away from you face.

logon

gspren

I never heard of a "hoedad" but I have one that stays on my Kubota side by side, makes a good arm extension.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

g_man

Quote from: gspren on May 26, 2023, 08:50:09 AM
I never heard of a "hoedad" but I have one that stays on my Kubota side by side, makes a good arm extension.
Same here - had to look it up and found out I have one.
gg

Stephen Alford

I guess the one on the right is a more traditional ...hoedad... used in tree planting years ago. The modified rake is what gets the most use for slash and lawn repair. There is a longer tinned version used to dig clams.  I charge out at a flat rate does not matter polesaw, chainsaw, clearing saw trimmingsaw  or hoedad   . If the tractor is running I double it. What works best is the landowner usually rounds up family or friends to handle the hands on labour  and because the tractor is so nimble around town I do not charge floating fees.  In general the cost  is pretty good for the landowner.  There does not seem to be any need for advertising its more of a pick and choose sitch.  :)
logon

Dom

I had to google hoedad too. I thought for sure it was a PEI term.  :D nice collection of tools, all with specific goals. My grand father had 1 rake for clam digging that I kept. Gotta bring the boys this summer. 

Stephen Alford

If ya come to da island to golf or spend the day on the beech... come early seems to be a lot of okie fans and players here already .  Odd though da habs fans seem to have all the best spots .  :snowball:  :D
logon

Stephen Alford

Hey folks , I had posted this pic of an earth anchor prototye to give me something to tie off to when removing trees from peoples houses .

Well you can buy them for 30$ at princess Auto now no need to make them for that price , but I would weld the eye together .

logon

Thank You Sponsors!