iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

The woodpecker in the photo looks like a Downy Woodpecker. Hairy Woodpeckers are nearly identical, but bigger. Downies have a little stickpin of a bill and hairies have a decidedly longer/larger bill. Both very common in the Northeast.

thecfarm

I can count the pileated wood peckers that I have seen on one hand. But I have seen the trees that they have peckered.  ;D

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

tecfarm, That's Pileated and classic pileated work. They are the bane of carpenter ants.

woodroe

Ovenbirds can be heard but really hard to see.

Ovenbird Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

I did spot one on the ground beating feet one day, only one I've ever see but 
hear them plenty. 

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

SwampDonkey

Bobolinks and brown thrashers are around, tree swallows are nest building today. No sign of a bluebird. :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

woodroe, If you see an Ovenbird running along the ground near you with wings drooping, it is doing a distraction display to lead you away from its' nest. I have a pair of bluebirds near the house with eggs and a pair near the house with babies. The nest with babies had eggs during recent cold and wet snow and I never thought they would pull through; temps are now warm.

woodroe

Quote from: KEC on May 16, 2021, 10:27:54 AM
woodroe, If you see an Ovenbird running along the ground near you with wings drooping, it is doing a distraction display to lead you away from its' nest. I have a pair of bluebirds near the house with eggs and a pair near the house with babies. The nest with babies had eggs during recent cold and wet snow and I never thought they would pull through; temps are now warm.
Ah yes, the broken wing trick, seen partridge doing that.
Thrushes are back and filling the air with their flute like songs.
Now to learn the difference between the wood and hermit thrush songs. 
Its quite a chorus out there this time of year. Being surrounded by mixed woods forest
in a 3 acre opening helps.

thecfarm

I have never even heard of an Oven bird.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodroe

Quote from: thecfarm on May 18, 2021, 06:13:24 AM
I have never even heard of an Oven bird.
Bet you've heard them though Ray.
Teacher Teacher Teacher
Or cheeka cheeka cheeka 

aigheadish

Haha! Please, from now on, we should be phonetically writing the noises the birds are making! Hilarious! 

I've got the one that makes a million different noises as 'cheep, cheep, cheep; car alarm noise, car alarm noise, car alarm noise; weeooh, weeooh, weeooh, prtrprtr, prtrprtr, prtrprtr, ree, ree, ree'
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

DEE DEE DEE DEE DEE
A1

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WV Sawmiller

Anybody recognize this bird? I first thought it was a pair of purple martins but it does not look like the ones on line. Is it some kind of swallow or something? A pair has taken over my bluebird box from last year. I can tell you it is small enough to use a 1.5" diameter entrance.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

woodroe

Tree Swallow.

WV Sawmiller

Woody,

Thanks. Are they good eating? (Sorry - I just had to ask. :D)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

woodroe

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 18, 2021, 05:16:39 PM
Woody,

Thanks. Are they good eating? (Sorry - I just had to ask. :D)
At 3/4 OZ with bones and feathers , probably not worth the effort ;D.

KEC

You guys want a good laugh? Do a you tube search for " Lyrebird mimics construction sounds".

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

My wife used to train (Schtzhund) dogs with a guy near here in southern WV who had a small baby. They also had a parrot and it would cry like the baby. When we first visited we kept wondering what kind of parents they were to just sit there and let their baby cry and they did not even go check on it. We found out the baby was out with her mom and it was just the parrot.

Many years later we were in Peru and we were staying in an Indian village with the family of our boat handler. They had a 16 y/o daughter with an infant and they also had a parrot that came and went at will between the house and the surrounding jungle. The parrot would also fly in and light in the rafters of the palm thatched house and cry like the baby and my wife and I would get alarmed only to the see the baby was sound asleep or nursing on his mom in a hammock at the other end of the house.

Oh yeah - I just remembered. On a project in Jeddah Saudi Arabia our Project manager lived down the street and they had an African grey parrot who would loudly bark like a dog and startle people walking on the sidewalk in front of the house a few feet way. He sounded like a very big dog and they would jump and look around then the parrot would laugh hysterically. You can't tell me birds don't have a sense of humor.
Howard Green

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on May 18, 2021, 07:23:43 PM
You guys want a good laugh? Do a you tube search for " Lyrebird mimics construction sounds".
I've never heard of those birds, I watched a few videos and am astonished!
A1

woodroe

That Lyrebird has a extensive vocabulary.  :D

aigheadish

That Lyrebird is incredible! I've seen like an episode of Planet Earth or something where, like mentioned above, chainsaw noises, car alarms, a camera taking photos, all kinds of neat stuff. With as smart as some birds are it makes me wonder how smart they all are. Especially after watching some solve puzzles and some repeatedly fly into the same piece of glass 2 seconds after it flew into the same spot on the same piece of glass...
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

I am content to listen to the pair of Mockingbirds that are nesting in our yard. 
Mockingbird sounds: mimicking & singing song - YouTube
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

aigheadish

I wonder if that's what I was trying to describe @Magicman , it sounds like some similar noises! I seem to have a shrub with one in it that is up and squawking at about 4am. It's usually the only bird I hear that early. It may have to do with some big flood lights in the neighbor's yards.

Magicman

Yes I am certain that it was which is the main reason that I found that clip.  You will see the white on it's wings when it flies.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!