iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Resawing 12x12 bridge beams

Started by Crossroads, November 25, 2017, 03:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Tuesday I'm doing a job sawing a bunch of 12x12x16' beams from a bridge. I have a box of 7* bands and 2 boxes of 4* bands. If I understand correctly, the 7's are made for sawing dry reclaimed lumber. Sounds like I'll be cutting 1x12's, any tips or suggestions? I've not cut dry reclaimed wood before, should I feed it slow, or push it a bit? Thanks! Kevin
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

I use 4 degree bands almost exclusively to resaw dry timbers.   Never thought of 7s being best suited for that purpose.   Talking about Woodmizer double hard blades 045 x 1-1/4"
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Kbeitz

I would think they would be full of dirt....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Magicman

Are these creosote bridge timbers?   :o  If so you will have much more to think about than which blade to use.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

I hadn't thought of them being full of dirt, I better take lots of blades.

I asked about them being treated and the gentleman claims that they're not treated.

4's are my favorite blade as well. I guess I'll try both and see which works best in this application. 

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

If that's an old logging bridge they won't be timbers full of dirt, rather they will be dirt with some wood fiber holding the timbers together.  Seriously the rock dust gets pushed a long way into the wood.  I do some reclaimed for a customer - but no bridge timbers - slow and lots of water as dry white oak is hard on bands.  Personally on my saw turbos work better than 4's on that stuff, I did not think that would be the case. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I might have to talk the guy into taking 1 board off, then roll it it give me a clean entry.

Brad_bb

Since you're in Oregon I'm guessing they'll be Doug Fir??  l
If they are Creosote, Don't even bother.  It's not worth the lung damage and cancer.  Do not be breathing that stuff if it's Creosote.

If they aren't treated, you may want to skin all four sides and then saw the cant.  If there's any stress left you may need to alternate your cuts.  It'll just be an experiment until you get more info.

What about Nails and hardware?  Are you metal detecting and being paid for that time and de-nailing?  I spent two months denailing 100 timbers before ever laying a blade to them.  Even after we metal detected the heck out of them, some nails still snuck by and we found them with the mill.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crossroads

The guy claims that they're not treated. If I show up to find them treated, I'll walk away. He says he's had some sawn before and there wasn't any metal. I'll probably take the metal detector anyway. I'm charging by the hour on this one and my time will start when the first cut starts and ends when the last board comes off the mill. Hopefully there isn't much stress, only time will tell. Oh, your correct, they are Doug fir.

Peter Drouin

If was me my time will start when I drive in on the job and stop when I get in the truck to go home. + $40.00 a blade.
And I can't tell you how many times I heard, No nails in the wood.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Crossroads

I charge a set up/travel fee, so my set up and tear down are both covered. I do only charge $25 per metal strike though and that's a carryover from the old mill. This spring I'll probably bump that up since that price barely covers a new blade fore the wide head.

Jim_Rogers

Plan on using lots of lube on your blade to keep it clean and cool.
I like to saw one face and then roll so you enter that face.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Crossroads

Ended up cutting those beams today instead of yesterday. It went pretty well. The customer had a handheld metal detector that worked really well when he used it while the mill wasn't running. After 3 nail strikes in a short time, he started being pretty diligent about getting the nails out. As mentioned about the beams did have dirt impregnated and was pretty hard on blades. Ended up cutting just over 4800 board feet of 1x. In the future I'll definitely add a fee for dirty dry wood. The 7* blades cut really well right up until they don't lol.

Thank You Sponsors!