iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need A Little ID help after a Short Walk

Started by Radar67, March 12, 2009, 10:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I found a few plants that I can't Identify, any ideas?

Plant 1 Cercis canadensis Redbud

Plant 2  Viola sp. Wild Violet

Plant 3 Myrica cerifera, Southern Waxmyrtle

Plant 4 Cherry

The large part is the main trunk of this plant. You have to overlook the vine growing on it.

Plant 5 (Anise Tree)

I really enjoyed my walk and these plants' show of color livened it up a good bit.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Don K

Plant 4 looks like a cherry to me. # 5 looks like some kind of magnolia. What do I knows. ::)

I found a flowering shrub I am going to post in hopes somebody can identify. I've never seen it before.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

I'll bet 5 is my anise tree Danny pointed out last year.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Don K

That's what you need to put in your fish soap.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Radar67

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jeffreythree

Plant 1 is definitely a redbud, got one in my backyard with flowers just like that.  Plant 2 is a wild violet: http://www.uky.edu/Ag/ukturf/weed%20id/Wild%20Violet.htm
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

WDH

Plant #3 is Myrica cerifera, Southern Waxmyrtle
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2009, 08:58:31 AM
Plant #3 is Myrica cerifera, Southern Waxmyrtle
They make scented candles with it. A pound of nuts immersed in hot water yields 4 ounces of wax. ;D

A relative of our Myrica gale sweetgale. Leaves scented, used to flavour meat, and scent clothes
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Thanks for all the help guys. Now I need to get some of those aluminum tags and start labeling some of them.

WDH

We still have #4 to go.  I am still puzzled.  Maybe if i saw it in person ;D.  Can you bring me a twig next Tuesday?

SwampDonkey

#4 Looks like a species of plum. I think a see a pair of unopened flower buds on the first twig.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Let's see if this helps.

Here is a close up of the leaf. Also, see the note below on the second picture of #4.

If this doesn't do it, I can stop by and get a twig Tuesday.

SwampDonkey

Speaks to me and says plum.  ;D Those emergent leaves also tell me the flowers are not white, because of the pinkish fringe. They may possibly look white, but closeup they will be light pink or darker. ;D

That's how I tell rose bloom color.

Radar67

Which flowers are you talking about SD? Plant 1? If so, those flowers are purple when you are standing right there in front of it.

Plant 4 is a completely different plant than #1.

SwampDonkey

Talking about the leaves in #4, the spring flush of leaves will give you a hint to the flower color.

Radar67

I guess you can call me color challenged then, I can't see it.  :)

SwampDonkey

WDH

Leaves look a little too big for a native plum.  But it does look like a fruit tree, maybe peach.

SwampDonkey

That would fit to if they go wild down there I suppose. ;D

Dodgy Loner

I'd bet your anise-tree that plant #4 is just a black cherry.  If it were a plum, it would be in bloom right now.  Plus, it has more lenticels than most of our native plums.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Who said anything about native? :D

We can't rule cherry out, but I was sure I seen an umbel on a twig. I mean it's flushed from the bud, but not open. Only Radar knows I guess.

Radar67

I'm not 100% sure SD. There are cherries growing in the area. I plan to break off a twig for WDH to see Tuesday when we have supper together. We'll know for sure then. ;)

SwampDonkey

Probably end up being cherry then. But I have had peach as well here and they are heavy on the lenticel department to.

WDH

Dodgy,

You are probably right.  It looked fruity, but somehow black cherry did not strike home  :).

Thank You Sponsors!