iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Laptop dying?

Started by Magicman, August 10, 2010, 05:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Maybe this is good news to some, but my laptop appears to be dying.  At times, it just goes to a white screen.  All that I can do is turn it off, then back on, and let it reboot.  Firefox will resume back to the point where I was.  Nothing is lost.

My question, is there a way to save all of my "Desktop" and "Bookmarks" to a CD or flash?  That way, if/when this thing doesn't come back up, I can at least install all of that on to a new one.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ronwood

in Firefox select Bookmarks option at top of page. Then selected organize bookmarks  and then import/backup and finally export to html.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Magicman

:) :)  One small step for man.  Thanks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

pineywoods

Magic, it may be just the display. The cable to the display gets bent every time you open or close the lid. Sooner or later the cable breaks. on the back side there will probably be a jack for an external monitor. Plug a regular desktop type monitor in there and it should display whatever is supposed to be on the laptop screen. I've extended the life of several laptops by doing this. One customer even bought himself a nice big flatscreen monitor. If you can use a big ole crt type monitor, come visit, I'll give you one or two or three. I collect them from the dumpsters...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Thanks, Ron.  That was simple enough.  Since I had the stack of CD's out, I went ahead and backed up those neglected pix files also.  It takes a while, but not nearly the heartburn that will be involved when this old gal croaks.

Piney, I'll keep that display tip in mind, but if this display dies, I'll replace the laptop.