iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Laptop

Started by WH_Conley, September 15, 2011, 09:11:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronwood

MM,

Did your fan on your laptop fail? I am having an issue with my brothers laptop going to a white screen and found that the internal fan is out causing the laptop to over heat. Waiting for a new to arrive to see if that takes care of the issue.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

beenthere

I had an over-heating problem with my laptop. Seems the fan blade warped a bit causing it to hit something and slow it down. A new fan was prohibitive to get installed. Tried to bend the blade back which was just a temporary fix.

With many pics on it that I wanted to salvage, I fired it up and rested it on two packages of frozen deer sausages to keep it cool while I downloaded the pics. Worked great and thawed out some sausage to eat. :)

Heard yesterday that HP is getting out of the computer business. Don't know what all is involved, and if it means printers and printer ink as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

They know printers and scanners, forget about computers. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DouginUtah

Were you using Firefox on the old computer?

If so, go to Bookmarks | Organize bookmarks. You will see a tab on the top called Import and Backup. Click it and you will see Export. Do it. That gives you a file to take to your new computer and do the same, except this time it is Import.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Ianab

Even if the fan is still running laptops have very small and fin finned heatsinks. These get clogged with "dust bunnies" after a couple of year. The fan runs full speed, but things just keep getting hotter until the machine locks up.

Some are easy enough to remove a cover or the keyboard and clean out the cooling, others are a real pig. I thing the assemble process starts with the heatsink and everything else is added around it...  >:(

Either way, that cooling is the first thing to check.

HP may be going to sell off the PC and laptop business, like IBM did with their part of the business. They simply sold the whole deal to Lenovo who were making the PCs for them anyway.

Ian  
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Paper Maker

Quote from: Magicman on September 26, 2011, 02:01:27 PM
Of course, now I'm suddenly going from Windows whatever to Windows 7 and all of these other good ideas.  The function keyboard keys are rearranged, so I'm touching the wrong keys and typing "not" what I want to type.   :-\

I downloaded Firefox, but I have not found my Bookmarks options yet.  Some kind of way I've got to get my tool bar back.

This is no fun.
I know your not close to a Best Buy but if you can get to one they can fix you up for a $140. Geek Squad recovered all my mothers pictures a other business information and put it on a external hard drive for her. The $140 includes them doing it and the hard drive. Then as you collect more pictures you can save them on your computer as well as the external hard drive. Just another option. Good luck.

Bandmill Bandit

Good day

I know I will have response on both sides of this argument but for the money you are best to go with a MacBook Pro 13 or 15 Inch. Take the max extended warranty offered and you should have her set for her college career. Apples for apples you just cant beat the reliability and the service you get from Apple.

We switched to Apple 4 years ago and our over all cost for computers has dropped by almost 50% year on year as compared to the PC system we used to run. We have about a dozen of them in the family and all the Lap tops (8 of them) have replaced desk PCs and 3 Mac minis that are running in place of 2 desk PCs we kept as backup that rarely if ever run. One of them has not been turned on in 2 years if not more. The other one only runs when we need the scanner. We have not replaced the scanner and we cant get Mac drivers for it but will be replacing it before the year is out. We will be PC FREE! BEFORE the switch to Apple we had 10 desk PCs, 2 PC servers and 6 Laptops. Total 18 computers. Today we run 8 laptops, 1 Mac Mini as a server 2 Minis as entertainment system brains/servers. Total 11 computers. Saving maintenance, software Licensing and  hardware replacement cost on 7 computers is a good sized chunk of change. Licensing  alone can save a hundred bucks +, a year minimum per computer.

The Mac will save you significant  $$ in the long haul and is almost always more computer for the money. If you add in the cost of soft ware and licensing well thats were Apple is so far out in front the competition cant even run in the same race.

You will not regret the decision to go with a MacBook Pro. Depending on her needs you may find she will be very happy with a MacBook Air. They are a lot of computer for the price and my Daughter working in the university environment every day in recruiting,  says that many students find that the Air is more computer then they need and it is half the weight to lug around campus.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

submarinesailor

Quote from: Ianab on September 26, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
HP may be going to sell off the PC and laptop business, like IBM did with their part of the business. They simply sold the whole deal to Lenovo who were making the PCs for them anyway.

Ian  

Ian - I just read in the business news today that the board and chairman of the board fired the CEO for going that and canceling their notepad.  I can't remember who it was, but they have already hired a new CEO.  3rd one in little over a year.

Bruce

Magicman

Quote from: ronwood on September 26, 2011, 02:38:52 PM
MM,  Did your fan on your laptop fail?  Ron

The fan did not fail, but the heat sink was clogged with lint, big time.  I did a dis-assembly, cleaning, and re-assembly.  It will not log onto wireless any more, which probably is just the modem.  It still has issues with the broken printed circuit board where the power cord plugs in.  The mother board will have to be removed to re-solder this.

My thoughts were to just replace the stolen laptop at the Cabin with it and get a new one for daily use here.  I only use the cabin laptop for looking at and storing trail camera pictures.

So now I have this new laptop here with all of the file moving, and drivers to load.  What was I thinking  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

It could be worse.  You could be hanging sheetrock and breaking in a new computer  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Paper Maker

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on September 26, 2011, 05:27:52 PM
Good day

I know I will have response on both sides of this argument but for the money you are best to go with a MacBook Pro 13 or 15 Inch. Take the max extended warranty offered and you should have her set for her college career. Apples for apples you just cant beat the reliability and the service you get from Apple.

We switched to Apple 4 years ago and our over all cost for computers has dropped by almost 50% year on year as compared to the PC system we used to run. We have about a dozen of them in the family and all the Lap tops (8 of them) have replaced desk PCs and 3 Mac minis that are running in place of 2 desk PCs we kept as backup that rarely if ever run. One of them has not been turned on in 2 years if not more. The other one only runs when we need the scanner. We have not replaced the scanner and we cant get Mac drivers for it but will be replacing it before the year is out. We will be PC FREE! BEFORE the switch to Apple we had 10 desk PCs, 2 PC servers and 6 Laptops. Total 18 computers. Today we run 8 laptops, 1 Mac Mini as a server 2 Minis as entertainment system brains/servers. Total 11 computers. Saving maintenance, software Licensing and  hardware replacement cost on 7 computers is a good sized chunk of change. Licensing  alone can save a hundred bucks +, a year minimum.

The Mac will save you significant  $$ in the long haul and is almost always more computer for the money. If you add in the cost of soft ware and licensing well thats were Apple is so far out in front the competition cant even run in the same race.

You will not regret the decision to go with a MacBook Pro. Dependign on here need you may find she will be very happy with a MacBook Air. They are a lot of computer for the price and my Daughter working in the university environment every day in recruiting,  says that many students find that the Air is more computer then they need and it is half the weight to lug around campus.

What he said.

Magicman

Say what?  This is the old laptop after cleaning caked lint from the heat sink which is in the top right corner.

I haven't decided if this new one is going to stay or go.  Right now, I think that it will go back.  The text will jump around and insert itself in places where I didn't put it.  Looking at an SD card in "My Computer" it only shows me the file #'s with a thumbnail of the file that is highlighted instead of the entire card's contents.   :-\ 

So far, I really have not seen much of anything that has impressed me. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Shoulda went Toshiba.  :)

Mac won't do what I need done.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I just may go Toshiba.  One good thing about dealing with WallyMart is that you can return with no questions asked.  They just send it back to the supplier.  I would work through the software differences, because they will be the same with any brand, but this one will just start typing somewhere else on the screen.  I can't imagine any option that would cause this to ng happen?  I will type somethi

As you can see above, it placed the "ng" back into the previous sentence.  Sometimes it will back up to the middle of a word or even up on the previous line.

Magicman

Looks like my problem was the "Tap" feature.  I had it disabled on the old Laptop, and now it's disabled on this one.  I just prefer to click a button when I want something to happen.

Now to Software.  I have to get accustomed to Windows 7 and this newer Firefox, and get my Bookmarks moved.  The word processor is completely different so I hope that I can move those files.  I'll also have to re-figure out how to load the D-Link wireless for the printers.   :-\

If all else fails or when I get it good and screwed up, I'll go to see Radar67.   ;D

beenthere

MM
So are you hanging on to this one, now that "tap" is disabled?

Wish you well on the frustration, as I can relate to it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 27, 2011, 04:47:41 AM
Shoulda went Toshiba.  :)

Mac won't do what I need done.

What do you need done? have yet to find any thing that a mac wont do better than a PC including run MS software, like office etc.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

SwampDonkey

The problem is it doesn't have good GPS/GIS support for my Trimble GPS.

I guess I'm unique, in not having issues with my windows programs. I have ran PowerMacs in the day, and those things crashed 10 times a day. And the older Macs choked on SCSI removeable media like Zip drives. They would lock up big time.

Bandmill Bandit

Yea i hear you but that was back when they were working out the bugs in the proto types they sold in those days. the new ones are a result of all that experience.

I will check with my kid on the GPS thing for trimble. we run a couple of those and i am pretty sure he has em running on macs. 

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on September 27, 2011, 12:57:23 PM
So are you hanging on to this one, now that "tap" is disabled?
Yup, the software would be the same with any of the new ones, so I'll gradually fumble through it.

WH_Conley, I apologize for holding your thread hostage.   :-\  It wasn't intended when I first had a problem and got into this fix/buy situation.

SwampDonkey

I'm pretty sure that will be futile Bandmill, as it's needs Trimble Pathfinder Office to correct positions and ArcPad to edit, plus ArcMap, fGIS or Maptitude to deal with GIS and map generation. I'm not interested in hack programs from parties that come and go from the scene for months and years between updates. Everything I submit has to be a shapefile and a Trimble *.SSF file.

Magicman

I loaded a couple of printer drivers last night, but I have not tackled that wireless printer on D-Link yet.  There is also something that I am not doing (right) with the transferring of Bookmarks.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 28, 2011, 04:57:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that will be futile Bandmill, as it's needs Trimble Pathfinder Office to correct positions and ArcPad to edit, plus ArcMap, fGIS or Maptitude to deal with GIS and map generation. I'm not interested in hack programs from parties that come and go from the scene for months and years between updates. Everything I submit has to be a shapefile and a Trimble *.SSF file.

I probably shouldn't refer to him as a kid any more as he is 29 and a computer systems engineer to boot. I dont think the stuff he works with is hack stuff. It for his farm clients so i am pretty sure its legit stuff but I will check. I dont Know squat about it but I have heard him talking to one of his clients about those programs. he has quite a few clients going with MAC especialy since the Ipad came out. I will let you know what i find out. 

WH_Conley

No problem Magic. All a learning curve.
Bill

SwampDonkey

Just think of all the hands on training your getting. ;D