iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plum for the smoker?

Started by pabst79, July 26, 2013, 11:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pabst79

Has anyone tried using plum wood for smoking? I love using apple and cherry, never tried plum though? A recent storm has left me with a bunch of 3-5" dia plum wood that if it doesnt work for meat will go in the wood stove. Hate to waste good fruit wood!
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

Raider Bill

It reminds me of a light not quite so sweet cherry. Has a nice fruit flavor.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

pabst79

Well, I'm going to smoke a little piggy then  :) thanks
Not sure which came first, but I have chickens and eggs.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

They say any fruit wood is good to smoke with.......they say.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

My favorite grilling/smoking wood is cherry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 26, 2013, 09:32:16 PM
My favorite grilling/smoking wood is cherry.

And if you don't have any to smoke with at the Sycamore Project, I'l take the chain saw to some of your Cherry furniture.  :D :D :D

WDH

Then, I can use some of the sycamore lumber.  Can you make a casket out of green sycamore, or should I let it dry a day or two?

:D :D :D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on July 26, 2013, 09:47:09 PM
Then, I can use some of the sycamore lumber.  Can you make a casket out of green sycamore, or should I let it dry a day or two?

:D :D :D

Make my casket out of Green wood. In three days it will be like shrink wrap.  :D

Kansas

Be careful. Use the wrong wood for the casket, and it might take root, then heave the casket through the dirt and there you will be, above ground in a casket falling apart.

I can already see a zombie movie made out of this.

At one time, I thought about retailing smoking wood. Had someone I dealt with who delivered to the major smokehouses. He showed me a bag for retail. It had checkboxes so you could check the appropriate wood. Of course there was the usual hickory, cherry, apple. But it also had plum, apricot, peach I believe, a whole list of fruit trees.

Thank You Sponsors!