iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Personal Messaging System Changes

Started by Jeff, September 06, 2014, 12:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've been upgrading our personal messaging system.  You may now see, that you have to click on a message to see the contents. By separating the messages from the message subject on the message page, this allows us to add several functions.

You can now create and set up folders for messages.

Instead of message, things are sorted into conversations, so messages between you and another member are put together.

You can delete a message you send, if it had not been read yet by the recipient(s)
You can edit a message you send if it had not been read yet by the recipient(s)

You can set up rules on how messages behave when you get them.

and a few other things. :)   This should be a vast improvement in the messaging system.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

I really like it! 

My favorite part is opening a message and the entire conversation is displayed!  Prior to the upgrade, one would have to page between the inbox and sent to find the sequence of discussion. 

WOW!  Thank you!!   pc_smiley
Say when

Jeff

The other part I like is, is that you don't get messages marked as read just because you opened the message center. I'm always missing messages that were sent while I was reading other messages. Now you have to actually open one for it to be marked as read. That also allows the sender to see if you have read the message yet (or at least opened it) :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

thecfarm

I see you took (no subject) out of the subject line. Thank you much!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

It makes it easier to sort conversations.

Magicman

At first I did not realize what was happening, but it is working fine.  The conversation flow is a neat feature.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Dave Shepard

I like having the whole conversation together, but it no longer sends the message in the email notification. That used to be handy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

The reason that can't happen is, because of a different function. The ability to delete a message, or edit it, as long as it has not been read yet. That is why you now have an out box.  You can see who has or has not read thier message yet, and if it has not been read, and you want to edit it, or even delete it, you can. Those functions would make zero sense, if the message was sent with the notification. The personal messages are not meant to replace email, but to act as a private messaging system within the forum.  Thats the best explanation I gots. :D

Dave Shepard

That makes sense.

FYI, you can send yourself a message. :D I hit reply in one of my posts in a conversation, and instead of sending it to the person I was talking to, I got the message. :D That's a new one on me.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Not getting a popup notification when receiving a PM message (at least today and a time or two recently). I have the box checked in my profile to get them, but maybe I sidestep that box some how, some way.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Same here bt.  When I get a PM while I am on line, the box does not appear, only the little message indicator above the "My Messages".  It has been when I change boards, etc. it would pop up.  Not really a problem, just different.

This has been the case for probably a week.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Have you applied any software updates lately, such as updating your web browser to a new version or updating Java?

beenthere

Neither one, to my knowledge.
As near as I can tell, it isn't continuous. Works at times and then at other times.. no notification.
The only Pop-up is the "number" near the "My Messages" tab, as MM mentioned.

None of this is a problem for me, as I can go with the flow here. Just mentioning for knowledge. ;)

Now I liked the pig...  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

Sometime I had trouble catching that pig.   :D

I have a new "rebuilt" laptop coming today.  That will be a trip, but at least it will be Win 7.