iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yukon Salmon Fishcamp (lots of photos)

Started by fuzzybear, February 17, 2011, 03:39:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

fuzzybear-

I just had a feeling that you were going to have to encounter bears time and again, and I also had a feeling you would deal with them kindly and humanely without risk to you and yours.  Very interesting stuff.  Thanks again for your story.  It's like real reality TV!.  Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Coon

No, doctorb, it's better than reality tv.... not a bunch of drama.  ;D

You live in a beautiful piece of country fuzzybear.  Great story and tradition too.  It's very sad to see things of this nature lost due to human ignorance.  Thank you for sharing this with us and opening up some eyes. 

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

fuzzybear

Quote from: CX3 on February 27, 2011, 09:41:27 PM
Thanks FB.  For the story and pictures I found it very interesting. 

I have a question, if I can ask it without stepping on toes, and I dont mean to.  Are you and your parents Native Americans?  I ask because my wife and her sister are doing research and filling out a bunch of papers to find out their heritage.  I think it is really neat. 
My mother is Northern Tutchone from Selkirk First Nation. My father is Tlingit from Carcross First Nation.  Fist nation's people here in the north are a little more fortunate than their cousins to the south and east, They have only had to deal with the Government for about 115 years as compared to 300+. It's been a hard 100 years though. The Native here are more of a family based society. They lived seperate from each other and only came together about 2-3 times a year as a community.
  War was a very uncommon event. Most time when there was a war it was because the Eskimo would come down from the north and steal a "good woman".  Even then killing was avoided as much as possible. I have lived with tribes all over North America and never have I seen a group of people more peaceful than here.
   I myself am one of the last of my people. There are a few Susquahanok people left. Most do not realize that they are of Susquahanok decent. I know nothing of our traditions. My family here found me  many years ago when I was in a VERY dark place in my life. They taught me to go back to nature and find peace within myself.
   I am the oldest of my brothers and sisters, and they look to me for wisdom, wich is kinda scary at times.  When I joined the family over 20 years ago there were 8 children, through the years we have adopted over 20 lost souls. My mother and father are the kind of people that will pick up a hitch hiker and take them home and feed them.
Quote from: chain on February 27, 2011, 10:37:24 PM
What a truly wonderful and inspiring picture story, reminissant of some of our Amish folk and folklore. Some say all good things come to an end, I do not know exactly why but in some cases it has to do with people messing up the balance of nature, most times politics is the true culprit.
The Yukon is the last of the great frontiers left on this planet. It is a hard place to live. But it is a place where NO electricity and running water are normal. To live here you either work for the government or mining. The rest of us are very much free spirits that live off the land. My wifes family said it was like taking a trip 100 years into the past.  We are still learning as a people how to live like the old ways, but incorporating modern convienance.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

fuzzybear

Just found this one. My favorite time, My nephew's birthday ride to the creek for swimming. This was before their party, there was about 30 kids there for the party. Real good food.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

thecfarm

Looks like real good company too.Thanks for the tour.Very interesting to see all this is still being done,not just a show and tell event.Things were so simple and close knit years ago.Than everyone helped out the next guy,even if they did not know them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CX3

Outstanding :)

Thanks for the reply.  Now you have to tell us how the fish gets smoked properly.  I would love to try it.  Thanks
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Patty

Very interesting Fuzzy! I am fascinated by different cultures and ways of life.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Samuel

Very interesting indeed...The smoked salmon makes my mouth water
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Magicman

We took a trip in Fairbanks, Ak. on the Discovery II and got a small demonstration on fishwheels, smoking salmon, and sled dogs.  I know that it was a "paid for entertainment" deal, but it was still informative.  We also got to meet the late Susan Butcher.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bear

What a great story, thanks for sharing

trapper

Fuzzybear
very much enjoyed your story and pictures.  I would love to experince something like that.  Many of my friends have told me I was born 100 years too late. 
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!