iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Computer Worm

Started by DouginUtah, January 25, 2006, 07:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

Due to hit on the 3rd of each month. As in Feb 3, 2006.

From Yahoo...

"Detected last week, the malicious worm targets computers running Windows and spreads primarily by copying itself to shared network locations and then sending itself to e-mail addresses found on afflicted computers. With subject lines that read "the best videoclip ever," "give me a kiss," and "school girl fantasies gone bad," the worm entices computer users to open the attached file."

It destroyes files.

-Doug
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

Just like every other one out there. The same goes as always. Protect yourself as you would any other virus. There are viruses created and released every day.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ianab

And if anyone doesn't have an UP TO DATE virus scanner, you can get a decent 'free for home use' one from
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

Works well and doesn't bog down old Win98 PCs anywhere near as bad as the Norton / Mcafee bloatware that you have to pay for.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Radar67

A simple way to foil any worm or virus that attempts to send via email is to create an entry in your address book with the name A0000. Place the text in the first name slot and do not assign an email address. If any program, virus, worm, etc attempts to send itself via your email, you will be prompted that an email address does not exist for "A0000" as it takes the first slot in your address book. This lets you cancel the attempt to send and lets you know that something is not right. The best part about this feature is if the unwanted "bug" has not been detected by virus software or your protection has not been updated lately, this will catch it.

The best way to prevent infection is to use a good commercial anti-virus program as suggested by the Boss.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

asy

Also, I don't believe I'd actually click on anything that said "Best schoolgirl fantasies ever" unless there was a button right beside it that said "Click here to report to feds"...

:(

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

DoubleD

Very good advice since I had to reinstall windows due to virus that charged my phone bill >:( >:( >:(
Wannabe a sawmiller

Murf

Quote from: DouginUtah on January 25, 2006, 07:17:25 PM
"school girl fantasies gone bad," the worm entices computer users to open the attached file.

I'm with Asy, besides, why would  I want to see a video about myself.   :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

iain

Asy is it just me or is your nose particularly bright tonight? ;)

iain

SwampDonkey

When I first got my laptop back in 2000  ::) it had WinME and I had installed Norton Works. It rendered my computer unusable and had to uninstall it and shelf it. Out $90 for bloteware. I then found Norman Virus Control and my system runs alot more smoothly. I get automatic updates every week and sometimes there are 4 a week. Man these Virus writers sure are a busy bunch of losers.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

Quote from: iain on January 26, 2006, 06:11:15 PM
Asy is it just me or is your nose particularly bright tonight? ;)

iain

It must be like a star... burns it's brightest just before it goes out...  Maybe...

but then that's in the lap of the boss.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

mike_van

Mcafee has a free one too - It's called Stinger - You can download it & run it when you want, updates are free. 
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Ianab

Problem with Stinger is thats it's just a scanner / cleaner for the current 20 or 30 virus'.
It doesn't scan in real time and update automatically
It can be usefull if you have the latest virus and need to remove it, but it's a band-aid program. AVG is a full anti-virus program that works as well as any, none can give 100% protection.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

bedway

i agree with ianab,,ive got grisoft on my system, which is 64 bit os. its the only virus protection that i could find that would work with this system. im extremely pleased with it. :)

Raphael

I just set my computer up to be virus resistant, nothing autoexecutes, and use f-prot (a DOS level scanner/analyzer) when I want to check a file.  My CPU isn't up to memory resident virus protection.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

SwampDonkey

I've been very pleased with NORMAN.

http://www.norman.com

Don't know if I mentioned it earlier.

Also, a note on Firefox vulnerabilities.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

Yip AVG is the boy, i used to have the full paid for version but found i did'nt need it,
it's set on auot for updates (09:15) works so good :)

iain

dancan

i use a mac
so far so good

Thank You Sponsors!