iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

worm fence

Started by woodmills1, December 27, 2001, 01:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

here is a shot of a test worm fence my father and i put together in less than an hour just before dark today.  the "split rails" are actually the first cuts off the quarters of white oak logs that i quarter sawed for my cooper customer this week. :D :D

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Kevin

Looks good from here millsy.

woodmills1

ya know the boys of my dads time always called him millsey.  it makes me proud he can drive up to NH from jersey to work with me, given he is half a year from being an octegenarian.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Gordon

Just think the boys with the big mills said to put it in the chipper. Different mind set I guess. Hard to make a nice looking fence like that with chips.  :D

Did you seal it with anything before you put it up?

Gordon

woodmills1

no sealer its straight from the mill.  i want to see what happens.  if it works i will make the first cuts a little thicker when i quarter saw.  if it doesn't work what an easy way to dry firewood. :D

Tom

Just for record:

Here is a split rail fence made from the hearts of pine that have turned to "fat lighter".  Jeff and I took pictures of it in the Okeefenokee Swamp park at the old Chesser homestead.  The rails were either split from pine hearts and aged on the fence or were found in the woods where small trees had fallen and the sap wood wood rotted off.  The swampers were opportunist and picked them up for the fence, proud that they had bypassed the chore of splitting them.          

Frank_Pender

Woodmills, did you remove any of the back to watch for deteriation at a much slower rate?  Might do a few and see the difference with bark and no bark.  bow wow! :D
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!