iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meter

Started by buzywoodliff, January 23, 2015, 01:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzywoodliff

Anyone find a good, dependable, inexpensive moisture meter for the hobby woodworker??

Thanks

beenthere

Quotegood, dependable, inexpensive

Do they go together?  Doubt it.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pine

What is your definition of inexpensive?  You want pins or pinless?
You can find some that are quite good (no fancy bells and whistles) Delmhorst J4 new for low $200's on Amazon.  Used on ebay,  there are a couple now, slightly used (what ever that means) for prices ranging from under $70, $129 and $150.  Of course the Delmhorst RDM3 is a good bit more with fancy bells and stuff.

square1

Quote from: beenthere on January 23, 2015, 02:04:03 PM
Quotegood, dependable, inexpensive

Do they go together?  Doubt it.  ;)
You know the old saying: Accurate, Long Lasting, Cheap - Pick any two.

WDH

I think that you get what you pay for when it comes to moisture meters. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

buzywoodliff

You get what you pay for pretty much applies to everything..... And I purposely didn't use the term "cheap". Lol

What little bit I know about them, the pin type are less expensive, and I think they would be fine for me anyway.

I was hoping to get something decent for 50-100 dollars.... Am I way off?

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

How important is it to know the moisture content accurately?  If the meter is off a little bit, will it ruin a project and mean a loss of hours of work as well?  Probably "Yes" and so you do need to spend money (no less than $200) for a meter.  I prefer one made in the USA as the calibration will be appropriate for our species, pus parts and repair will be very easy.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

buzywoodliff

Thanks for the input, hope the new year is treating you all well.

Peace

WDH

I have a Wagoner pinless MMC210, and it is fast and easy to use.  You have to correct for wood specific gravity, but Wagoner supplies you with a chart.  This one costs just South of $400.

I also have a Delmhorst J2000X with a slide hammer and 1" pins for use in the kiln. This one will run just South of $500. 

The Delmhorst J-4 without the slide hammer is about $260.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jdtuttle

I've had good luck with Lignomat. Not too expensive and works well.
Have a great day

xlogger

After looking at prices this morning you are right WDH, you will spend at least $400 for a good pinless. I want one myself but not in a hurry to get one, so I wait awhile maybe I'll find one on ebay or craigslist. I've need to start on building my kiln first for now. After a pm with doc, I thinking more about building a kiln and connect it to my OWB as a heat source. Anyone here done that? So any suggestions on the structure will be appreciated.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

dean herring

I am getting really confused, the more I read about weighing lumber using electricity, the more I am confused. Is there a simple but accurate way to check?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

Thank You Sponsors!