iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Welding Tip

Started by Redmt, April 03, 2020, 02:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmt

I don't know if this is the right place to offer this little tip.
I see lots of pix of good and not so good welds. One thing that will help some with smoothness of bead and to keep metal from hardening is that before MIG (or TIG) welding is to preheat the area slightly. When you put the heat to it you will notice moisture run from the area and dry nearly instantly. Then run your beads and let the welds cool naturally or even shield them with an old glove and they won't harden.
Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

jmouton

you generally dont have to preheat most stuff under 1/2 inch , but on thicker it does help, i usually dont preheat anything ,,, its a 50/50 on welding new iron  opposed to a rusty wholly dump truck,  
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Redmt

You can use whatever procedure that you can get away with. I have stacks of weld test coupons that are cut and etched for various tests I've done for certifications over the last 40+ years. The point was that some guys are struggling with their welds. Your right in a sense in that you can do no prep welding and get away with it. I've done it countless times. For guys having issues though a little pre heat will help them out until they think their skills have improved. Another little side note,,,, a MIG weld can be absolutely gorgeous and still have no penetration.
Here's a little fun "party trick" you might want to try sometime.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

customsawyer

This reminds me of the old joke.
Do you know the difference between a farmer/sawyer and a welder?
The welder doesn't think he can farm or saw. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

scsmith42

Rdmt, that's some good advice you shared.  I've found that the lower the power of the MIG, the more important that pre-heating is.  Especially if you're welding with a 120V machine.  
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!